“Don't let the Vegan deter you” 4 of 5 bubbles

Thai Vegan
Ranked #290 of 1,778 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Description: The Thai Vegan restaurant chain, which is in the top 10 of all vegan chains, was started by Chef Pat. He served as a Thai Monk for 28 years and perfected all of his sauces and recipes during this time. His food is arguably the best Thai food in the world. If you want a taste extravaganza, then make plans on eating at Thai Vegan!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Don't let the Vegan deter you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Thai Vegan is a wonderful option for healthy and tasty food in Albuquerque. True it is vegan but you won't miss the meat or dairy. I've eaten here with vegetarians and carnivores and everyone has been very happy. Even my 15 year old son who doesn't care for Asian food loves their veggie burgers. They have about five veggie burger options and he says their fries are excellent. My favorite entree is the Cashew Nut dish. It is not too spicy and full of yummy cashews. I do have to say that the last couple of times I've been there service was a bit slow and confused, but I'll give them another shot because off the food. At the location on Central there is a dance studio next door that lays down a pounding drum line that vibrates through the restaurant so if you want a peaceful and quiet dinner try the Osuna location. Overall a very good option for those of us who prefer to avoid animal flesh.

• Visited October 2013

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Reheated, microwaved, overpriced "Thai" food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Ordered appetizers and two entree dishes. Everything including the entree was basically reheated in a microwave. I can recognize frozen food service eggrolls when I see them, and the six dumplings we ordered ($7.25!) were mushy (also pre-prepared, frozen).

It's a good sign when a fast food restaurant serves you 5-10 minutes after you've ordered, a bad sign when a sit-down restaurant can do the same. $30 for reheated Trader Joe's frozen food does not strike me as a bargain. Don't even get me started about how "vegan" this place is: no imagination whatsoever, replacing all of the meat on your menu with the fake soy meat.

There are better options in Albuquerque, where at least the food prep isn't done in a microwave.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Jim C, Public Relations Manager at Thai Vegan, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Yuuki, I'm following up on a review you made about Thai Vegan. I'm sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, but I can assure you that the "egg" rolls are made in store. They are frozen to assure that there is a plentiful supply during busy restaurant hours. Same goes for the dumplings.

We want everyone who comes to our restaurant to leave happy and satisfied, so I would like to offer you a free meal at any of the three stores. Simple go to the store and tell the wait staff that you have returned to receive a FREE meal and that the last meal you had didn't meet your expectations. If we measure up next time, we would appreciate a revised review of Thai Vegan. Thank you!
New York
“Yellow curry is good but salty for my taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I ordered yellow curry with pepper steak. It's delicious but salty for my taste. Thai iced tea is delicious and I finished it in less than 5 minutes. Crispy tofu is too plain. I expected the tofu to be soft with a crunchy coating but it came out to be plain fried tofu without any breadings. To be fair, the dip for the tofu is delicious. The freshy rolls are huge and comes in 4. It's okay, not something I would crave for. Spring roll banana is okay, the syrup inside is kinda sweet.

• Visited October 2013
Eagan
“abundance of flavor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Recent trip to Albuquerque brought me to this restaraunt after a day at the state fair. What a find! Beautiful interior, relaxing visual images playing on tv monitors , and delicious fragrances coming from the kitchen. I shared a meal family style to try several items. My favorite was a meal callled PET, pumkin, eggplant and tofu in a flavorful garlic sauce. Loved it, along with a salad filled with avocado, edemame, greens, tomatoes and cucumbers. I highly recommend this restaurant. Please don't let the vegan in the title dissuade you from trying a great menu!

• Visited September 2013
“Vegan Smeegan!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Ok, I'm a vegetarian. My husband's an ardent carnivore. When vegan friends suggested we meet them at the Thai Vegan for dinner, I went, "Woo, hoo!" I could hear my husband groan and utter under his breath, "Vegan, smeegan."

He now wants to eat here all the time! The food all has meat substitutes that satisfy meat eaters completely. I was delighted to find shrimp substitutes on the menu! They were delicious. Everything we ordered was tasty and plated beautifully. The service was attentive and the décor lovely. Prices were quit reasonable as well.

Don't let the word vegan put you off if you like your meat. Trust me, you won't miss it!

• Visited August 2013