“Decent food but can be quite greasy”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mac's Steak In The Rough
Ranked #1,317 of 1,769 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Colorado
“Decent food but can be quite greasy”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Mac's is known for quick, diner-style food in Albuquerque. Food is usually tasty but can be a bit on the greasy side. Favorites include the burgers and fries, of course. Service can be hit or miss.

Visited May 2011

Balt Md
“not the way it used to be”
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Living on Sandia Base in the early 60's Macs was one of our regular stops. It was regular because the chili sauce/taquita was fantastic. What might seem just a humble side was the main attraction.

It was not too hot but it was thick, rich and deep red having plenty of quality chile in the recipe. When you dipped the taquita into the little cup of sauce...well it was heaven in the mouth.

So, I returned after 49 years and looked it up to find this food place still in existence. This place was one of a few things I wanted to do while only visiting the area for 3 days. It still looked the same and I was in high expectation for reliving great taste memories.

It was horrible, almost insulting. It was pathetic and wasted my time. I could have and should have done other things in my last vacation moments in Albuquerque. The sauce had gone the way of a care-less attitude, weak and watery having no soul, trying to save money as if they had competition. I think they are hanging on from convenience rather than taste excellence. I would have paid twice what they charged to have it taste the way Mac’s was and should be.

My only hope is that someone in their administrative office with an IQ above greed or fear of immediate profit loss will read this and do it right....again. It can be done. They will build a larger more massive taste following if they do. Otherwise, I hope they fail and get taken over by Taco Bell. I cannot understand the demented mechanics that lead to diluting sauces. Some of Taco Bell’s dishes are great, they might just get it right.

I have to believe the current owners are not original and those now responsible for tastes and sauces are from a culture, the same culture that is destroying many Tex Mex places and purveying the bland as food-art around Maryland where I live now...that is the El Salvadorian papusa disaster cuisine. They must think that being Hispanic is all you need to create and be involved with good South Western eating. Nonsense. The El Tolteca chain here in the East is the worst offender.

Now for me, if a place signs it sells papusas, I don't even go in anymore. They have no clue about sauces and tastes, especially the nuances of the almost mystical New Mexico chile.

4 Thank gastroped
macsmenaul, manager at Mac's Steak In The Rough, responded to this review, November 9, 2009
In response to your comments, sorry to find that you had a bad expierence on your last vist.

Macs has changed since you visited last, we are under new Managment, and have since went back to the original Salsa recipe. Our sales in Salsa has doubled and we were recently voted Best Taquitas in Albuquerque by ALIBI Magazine.

alibi.com

Your comments are greatly appriceated.

Greg S. Perez