“Great tasting food.”

Ranked #59 of 1,802 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Adobe style building outside. Flavor of New Mexico, southwest decor on the inside. We have been preparing each meal from scratch for 35 years. We use only the best and freshest ingredients, ensuring you will enjoy the best tasting dishes in Albuquerque.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I don't know where Ballyhoo or whoever they are, was. NEVER had a stale chip there, a less than well filled enchiliada or burrito, or missing silverware. In the last couple yrs., I have NEVER experienced any of those negative things. Everbody seems to help out from the minute you walk in the front door~ from being seated promptly to someone getting your drink order within 2 minutes. I haven't seen ppl milling around the front door waiting for their next birthday just to get seated like you often do elsewhere. Their kitchen staff always tries to get it perfect & their batting average has been better than anyplace else in town. They can put out some grand entrees; their results tell me they know what they are doing. We have always had the BEST tamales here. And at every visit in winter, green chile chicken chowder is a must; rich, creamy with big chunks of white meat. I have always found white meat & a good taste when chicken is the filling in anything. Atmosphere seems homey & comfortable. Friends usually ask to meet here. If you want spicy, this is the place. If you want spicy comfort food, this is the place. If you want mashed taters n gravy food, this is not the place. This could easily be a meal you got at your Gramma's.

2  Thank charlieBR549

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Tasty homade Mexican food with definite Native American influences. When you go, try the stuffed sopapillas smothered with green chile. There was so much chicken in mine I took it home and had it for lunch the next day. Enjoyed the sides of corn and potatoes instead of the ordinary beans and rice. Very spicy, keep the water close!

1  Thank catlady32
Reviewed October 17, 2013

If you want genuine "New Mexican" food, this is the place to go. I met up with a friend who is a local, and this place was her recommendation. We easily got a table in the large restaurant and our waitress was fun and bubbly. We ordered our lunches and drinks and the food came out quickly. Once we had everything, our waitress disappeared. She showed back up only to bring us the check. Our drinks were never refilled... and let me tell you, when you're from the Midwest and you're eating New Mexican chilies... you need your drinks refilled! I would give this place another shot. I think maybe our waitress got slammed or had an off day or something. Like in other New Mexican restaurants, they served complimentary sopapillas. Yum!

1  Thank breoni
Beris, Marketing at Papa Felipe's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Hi Breoni,

Thank you for your kind comments about our food. We work hard to keep the "genuine" in our cuisine. We also strive to provide excellent service, so I will pass along a reminder to our staff to check back on the tables more frequently. By the way, on your next visit, try dairy (such as sour cream), or bread, to help with the heat of New Mexico's chile. :-)

We hope to see you again soon!

Rudy G.
Owner

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Although I no longer live in Albuquerque and had not been to Papa Felipe's in several years, I was not disappointed. I had the Chimichanga and it was wonderful. Others in our party had the stuffed burritos and they liked them.
Very nice server with lots of smiles just not very efficient. Asked for water, salsa and napkins at different times and never got any of them. The sopapillas were wonderful. I agree with other reviewers, the chips were stale.
I will definitely be back.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

First of all, Kudos to the great staff at this resturant! Great attention and smiles at your table with superb service. I had gone with a friend to the salsa festival in old town albuquerque and got to talking with the people behind this restaurnat's booth, and they won me over to try the resaurant and it was a great experience! The food and flavors were exeptional, loved the sopapilla's, and they even brought out taste samples before we ordered! Nice ambience and the meal was complimented by the friendly and knowledgeable staff and servers. This is worth a trip when you are in Albuquerque!!

Beris, Marketing at Papa Felipe's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Hi John.

Thanks for your kind comments about Papa Felipe’s. We love being part of the community and meeting locals and visitors at events like the Salsa Festival. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Albuquerque. In the meantime, if you need a Papa’s fix, we sell (and ship) our salsa through our website at http://papafelipes.com/salsa.html.

Kind Regards,