“Good food, friendly staff”

El Charritos Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #179 of 1,799 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Laid-back atmosphere was welcoming. Latecomers (arriving just before closing time) were welcomed and served. Portions were generous. Food was very good. Menu included Mexican dishes, as well as some "New Mexican" favorites, such as steak fingers (breaded, fried strips of beef). Simple, convenient, and satisfying.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were staying at Sandia Peak Inn and decided to walk across the street to have dinner. It is always a bad sign if you have to pay for chips and salsa (this Texan heard alarm bells ringing immediately). Now I know the red sauce in New Mexico is supposed to be hot, and I like that. However, my enchiladas were just drowning in the sauce and I couldn't taste the enchiladas for the overwhelming heat in my mouth. Furthermore, the kids' meals were advertised as coming with a side of fruit. What mom wouldn't like that? What arrived was a pre-packaged fruit cup you might pack in a sack lunch. Really? I say NO.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Sorry to say that this Mexican food wasn't near as good as many others that we've tried. Plenty of it, but too hot for gringo's.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Although convenient to the Sandia Peak Inn, I cannot recommend this restaurant. The selection was limited. The Spanish Rice and Frijoles were microwaved masses; the pork tamale was okay, but the red sauce was simply hot and not savory.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went here for the first time with some friends. We couldn't decide what to get so we go the "medium" combination plate. It comes with a tamale, enchilada and a taco with rice and beans as a side. We figured it would be a bit of food but that we would be able to box up what we didn't eat. When the plates came, I knew we would need a box. I thought it would be a lot of food, but i was unprepared for the actual quantity. The plate could barely hold it all. We could have easily split the plate between 2-3 people, and probably still have leftovers.
But not only was there a ton of food, it was also really good! Great value for the money. It cost under ten bucks.
Next time we will know better, I'll be able to feed the table of people for under $20.
This is a photo of the menu from El Charritos: www.urbanspoon.com/cities/60-albuquerque/restaurants/650390-el-charritos/menu