“Good food, small prices, great hang out.”

Frontier Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 1,819 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Basic, delicious American/New Mexican grub made fresh and priced right. A restaurant whose staff stays for years (decades for some) is one I want to patronize, because the owners must be treating their employees well, which means the employees do their best and don't spit in the food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,624)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This place is an experience, more than anything else. Rather unconventionally for me, you go and order at one of the cashiers from the large menu posted on the wall, then wait for your food and seat yourself. But I had no complaints here - the Frontier Burrito was pretty delicious in its simplicity - green chile sauce smothered over a cheesy, spicy beef and bean (and more green chile) burrito, complemented with rice that tasted great for its garlic-y tones and hearty beans.

I did not finish there; I got a green chile fiesta cheeseburger, which was a great value at only around $4. Never had anything like it before, and regretfully, will probably not for a while. I topped off my decadent visit with a sticky roll and coffee, both of which were very good for the price and setting.

Don't let the "casualness" of the place put you off; it's part of the (college) experience! (Located directly across from UNM, there are a lot of young and international diners here, too). As part of any future trip to ABQ, I would like to come back.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Frontier was recommended to be while I was in town for business. We went for dinner. The food was okay. It was not great. I think this is more of a lunch location. There is a diner feel and you place your order at the counter and then when you number is posted you pick it up. The fresh lemonade and orange juice were amazing. I would go back for lunch.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went to this restaurant expecting amazing tex-mex based on Yelp reviews and ended up regretting the trip. There was nothing spectacular about the food. I've had much better tex-mex elsewhere and being in Albuquerque, I expected this to be the best of the best. I ordered the breakfast burrito and was severely let down. The salsa didn't have any bite, the chips weren't very good, and there was just nothing memorable about the burrito. To top all that off, they were busy so in order to find a place to sit we had to stalk people who looked like they were almost finished eating so we could grab a table. We were then stalked in return as we finished eating.

A few good things I did notice: Quick service (order at the counter then pick-up), kind staff, cheap price, free parking if you can get it (45 min limit).

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very late night to go dinner/breakfast. The burritos were great and the huevos rancheros were pretty darn good. Great location, right by the hospital.