“Great Place for Mexican Takeout”

El Modelo Mexican Foods
Ranked #57 of 1,789 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Had another excellent round of Mexican Food in Albuquerque by picking up a meal from this place. If not from the area, it isn't easy to find. It is on 2nd St but to get to 2nd St, you have to turn on 3rd St. If coming from the freeway, and on Avenida Chavez, turn left on 3rd St to get to 2nd St. 2nd St. does not connect to Avenida Chavez, which is the main way to get here from the freeway.

There is a large and free parking lot to the left of the restaurant or you can park on the street. The area it is in isn't anything great but definitely is not unsafe. It is more industrial than anything else.

The specials are dinner platters and very reasonably priced for the amount of food you get. However, sopapillas and chips have to be bought separately. The sopapillas are very large and one sopapillas can easily fill you up.

Don't miss trying the spare rib. The spare rib is very tender and unusual tasting in the red chile sauce. I also really liked the enchillada dinner, which was 3 cheese enchilladas, with beef on top, plus four tostadas, all in a red chile sauce--yum.

There are newer reviews for El Modelo Mexican Foods

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We picked up 3 quart containers of the Adovado. There were air pockets in all the containers. Between the three, we lost the equivalent of about 1/2 a container.
We drove in from out of town and just dropped the food into an ice chest without checking. Mistake to trusted an established eatery just because the reviews for their food is great.

Disgusted at their (successful) attempt to shave off product at a customer's expense.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

When I first heard about this place I thought it was a bit out of the way. When I checked it our on Street View, I wasn't sure it was in the safest part of town. But, gathering my courage, I hauled my family over there to try it out. They had to come with me--I was driving.

Parking was a challenge. There really isn't any, except on the street. There are some tables to sit at outside, but other than that this place is really geared to takeout. When we went inside, it was packed, but everyone there seemed to know what they were doing, so I tried to play along.

This place has been around and family owned since 1929, and they do a lot in the community, which I really appreciate. The food was great, the prices were good. What more can you ask for? If you want to buy tortillas, tacos, or tamales in bulk, they can hook you here.

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I adore el Modelo. It's only for take out or eating in the parking lot, but by far has the best meat (red chile chorizo) and bean and cheese sopaipilla in ABQ. Reasonably priced and the portions are large.
Grab some extra napkins as it's messy to eat, but absolutely worth it!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We just returned home from a week in Albuquerque. While there, we went for lunch at a famous old eatery called El Modelo. This place has been around since 1929 and it's hard to imagine how much food they must serve on a daily basis. If you're looking for a full blown sit down and be waited on restaurant, this isn't the place. If you want the most authentic really good New Mexico Mexican food, this is it. They have plate lunches served in styrofoam boxes or you can buy tamales by the dozen or anything else they offer by the quart. The food is outstanding and plentiful. I brought 4 dozen pork tamales home for my sons. They had them fresh or frozen so I opted for the frozen, put them in an ice chest and brought them 700 miles. They kept perfectly but I must warn you. They are the largest tamales I've ever seen and packed with lots of meat. Each tamale is approximately 2" in diameter and 6" long. They are the best I've ever eaten. I only wished I had bought a quart or two of their red chile pork and some others to try.

If you're in Albuquerque, this is a must try place for the food and the experience.