“The Incredible Shrinking Bargain”

Flying Star Cafe - Rio Grande
Ranked #119 of 1,802 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed December 28, 2013

All the Flying Stars in and around Albuquerque are nice gathering places. I've been a patron from the beginning. Now I'm done. Really done. "Where shall we meet." "NOT the Flying Star." $2.50+ for a cup of coffee. $7 for a piece of carrot cake. Burgers starting at $10. These "neighborhood places" have become overpriced... they seem to be running on past reputation, good locations, and decent but inconsistent food. Some things are really tasty. Their supposedly award winning grilled cheese sandwich would have been ashamed in front of my 5th grade school lunch version. If value for your hard won kopeks is important to you there are better choices. If price is no object, there's someone on the corner you can help.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Well, I do generally like Flying Star, and prior to today loved their breakfast burritos. However, after taking a bite of my burrito, I felt a hard piece of something that at first I thought was part of a chile. Nope, it was part of a plastic zip tie!!! My husband was appalled. I was shocked. Management was kind, refunded our meal, but something like that could choke, or seriously injure someone. Obviously it was due to careless quality control. Needless to say, no more Flying Star for awhile, certainly not breakfast burritos anymore. And for that price, quality should be number 1.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Flying Star has always had a great environment no matter which location you go to. They used to give massive portions that you could never finish in one sitting and the prices were 10-20% less. The food is still good but the menu is missing some terrific pasta dishes they used to offer. The problem is that as you get later into the evening, there just are not many quality choices that do not involve a chain or fast food so Flying Star is still your best bet. It is well made and relatively healthy.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is the first time I ate at Flying Star on this location.
The place was quite busy during lunch time.
Food was very good.
Service was good too.
I would recommend sitting outside in the patio. It has a fireplace to warm the patrons in the winter mos.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I travel to Albuquerque, NM, on average, 2-3 times a year to visit my friends. My friends introduced me to The Flying Star many years ago. During EVERY SINGLE visit, we go to The Flying Star 1-2 times. The breakfasts are awesome and the desserts are out of this world. I love the outside sitting area and the fireplace inside on those chilly days. I wish we had a Flying Star in Massachusetts! It's the best!