We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“so so”

Japanese Kitchen Sushi Bar
Ranked #307 of 1,852 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Price range: $0 - $20
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
More restaurant details
Restaurant details
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown
Reviewed September 21, 2012

bad serivce, price too high. Great food! I would rather go somewhere else for the concept. food is great, but if you want good service dont go there.

Thank Breanna P
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Write a ReviewReviews (93)
Traveler rating
Traveler type
Time of year
Language

58 - 62 of 93 reviews

Reviewed September 18, 2012

So far, this is the best sushi place I've found in the area. It's pricey for dinner (as would be expected being so far inland) especially when ordering the Special Rolls. However, lunch is reasonable and the lunch Weekly Specials are really where you can get a great deal. I also enjoy the Specials because I can try different things that I may not normally order. Though not listed on the sushi check-list menu, you can ask for the more simple rolls (eg spicy tuna) to be made as handrolls.

Non-sushi items such as teriyaki and tempura dishes have also been very tasty.

Good selection of saki and Japanese and domestic beer but the wine selection was rather generic.

Hours are bit on the odd side: it closes after lunch at 2:30 (on the dot! If the door is open but it's 2:35 you will be told they are Closed) then reopens at 5:30 for dinner. Take out is available for lunch (not sure about dinner) and they are Closed on Sundays.

I have not yet visited the teppan grill restaurant. (The teppan grill is separte from the sushi bar, the two are catercorner from each other.)

    • Value
    • Atmosphere
    • Service
    • Food
Thank IrishFlair
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Japanese Kitchen is the closest food I can find in ABQ to the food I had while visiting Japan. The fish is fresh and the sushi rolls are finely prepared. Their steak and teriyaki chicken are also quite good. The service is consistently excellent. I much prefer sitting at the quiet sushi bar to the teppan grill.

2  Thank Anna-cedars
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed June 11, 2012

One of our favorite sushi joints. The sushi is always to die for. Service is mostly great and they are almost always busy.

Thank Helen0933
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We've lived in ABQ for 20+ years and JK has been here just as long. We hadn't been to eat here for a few years so we decided to give it a try. We didn't expect anything special but went with friends to have some tepanyaki grill. The front door has a lot of peeling paint and the wall near our grill was filthy. Doesn't look like they have cleaned since we were there last.

We had a party of 8 and needed two checks because of work. We purchased alcohol and appetizer and tipped the tepanyaki guy separate. The food was just OK (kinda bland) and pricey (Steak and shrimp was 28.99 and our drink was 10.00). When we received our bill the server had charged us each an additional 1.95 for fried rice. This was not mentioned when she asked "steamed or fried rice?. That was kinda annoying.

Since we were a party of eight they added an additional 15% gratuity (fine), then added an additional 5% (for a total of 20%) because they had to make two checks?!? They also added the 20% on the tax. We informed them that we were not happy about them tipping themselves on the tax too. The owner was put out with us! (We just dropped over $200.00 for dinner and she was put out with us!)

If you go watch your receipt and question everything you order.

    • Value
    • Atmosphere
    • Service
    • Food
Thank Foodie1934
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Travelers who viewed Japanese Kitchen Sushi Bar also viewed

 

Been to Japanese Kitchen Sushi Bar? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.

Claim Your Listing