New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Monroe's Restaurant

Monroe's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 1,746 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Delicious,authentic New Mexican Food served by our unique team concept waiting style. Family owned since 1962. Come check us out in the Northeast Heights as well: WE HAVE ANOTHER LOCATION at 6051 Osuna Rd. NE Albuquerque, NM!!!
“We cleaned our plates...... FAST!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

On our way back from the Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix we were in the mood for quality New Mexican food. We sure found it! Menu has great variety and this food isn't dirt cheap for a reason! We made our selections and saw our food within 10 minutes easily. From stuffed sopapillas to enchiladas and fajitas everything was top notch! Green and red chillies are a MUST. But don't stop there; order dessert too, sopapilla (again) and fried ice cream were our targets and again we were impressed! A great place to stop while passing through and cheaply a local favorite! Just shy of 5 stars.

• Korean first
Palmer
“Terrific New Mexican food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Fast (even on Christmas Eve) and friendly service. My husband was served the best huevos rancheros with great green chile salsa he's had, and my chile rellenos were equally great. I lived in New Mexico for 25 years prior to moving out of state, and Monroe's food couldn't be beat.

Visited December 2012
albuquerque
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We'd been here a couple of years back and were solidly UNIMPRESSED with the place: lackluster food, poor service. So, we wrote them off. A few days ago, a friend of mine said we should go back. We did and WOW, ARE WE GLAD WE DID!

Outstanding service from the time we walked in until we paid the check: friendly, attentive, but not intrusive. Excellent food: freshly fried chile rellenos, mouthwatering beans, fork-tender carne adovada, and warm, flavorful red chile. The salsa was fairly spicy, but tasted quite fresh. The chips were served warm. Only the sopapillas missed the mark. They were very good, but a wee bit doughy -- so not up to the 5-star par ofthe rest of the meal.

Further, Monroe's now offers a fairly extensive gluten-free menu and the menu lists net carbs (for those of us for whom this has become important). The are happy to make substitutions and accomodate special dietary needs. The whole experience was pleasant - a complete about-face from our dinner two years ago.

What a very pelasant surprise. We'll definitely be back!

Austin, Texas
“This is the best place to go for Mexican in Albuquerque!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family and I went here tonight. We had been in the old town district and were looking for something close by. All the reviews were right. This place is awesome! The refried beans, the green and red chili , the sopapillos (stuffed and honey drizzled), chili releno were all fantastic. Everyone was helpful, friendly. Food came fast and portions were great. They brought samples out for my wife to try of the chili (green is my favorite). No one was pushing to buy drinks or appetizers. Seriously, this is in my top 5 best Mexican food of all time!

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Why isn't 6/5 stars an option?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Good freakin' Lord. Have you ever had food that so "hit the spot" that you feel like you could continue to eat it long after your brain has told you you're stuffed? This place has that food. My wife and I get a lot of our enjoyment while traveling from food and we're so grateful that we found this place. After driving six hours through a blizzard from Colorado Springs, we were tired and famished. We checked into an excellent hotel nearby (Hotel Parq Central; see my review) and immediately came here based on the reviews on UrbanSpoon and boy are we glad we did.

The wife and I are not only people that love to eat, but we love to eat Mexican cuisine. Tex-Mex, Californian, authentic, gringo-style, dives, taco trucks, it makes no difference, we tend to enjoy it all. Being this was our first time in Albuquerque, we were excited to enjoy New Mexican cuisine and this place did not disappoint. I tried a local favorite, a Carne Adovada burrito and my wife had a beef and bean stuffed sopaipilla. Both were flat out incredible. My Carne Adovada burrito was not just juicy and flavorful, but soft and piping hot. It was doused in red chili which was as fantastic as I was expecting, this being New Mexico, land of red and green chili. My wife raved about her stuffed sopaipilla. Every bite revealed that magical combination of delicious ingredients, tender mouthfeel, and a flavor that was greater than the sum of the dishes parts.

This place would've been great even if the rest of the experience was mediocre, but to our delight, everything else was equally delicious. The chips and salsa that came with our platters was simply on point. All chips were extremely crispy and crunchy and none tasted of fryer grease. A+. The salsa was bursting with a sweet, zesty and spicy flavor that made lesser salsas offered up at the chain restaurants simply offensive in their blandness. A+. The refried beans, and this is important, offered the anchor to our meals, being rich, creamy and savory. I personally like my refrieds creamy and smooth, without the errant undercooked, unmashed whole beans randomly dispersed that you find in other types of refried beans, so I really, really loved these. A+. Our platters also came with fresh sopaipillas with honey, and I'll be damned if they weren't some of the best I've ever had. A+

The service was equally fantastic. Monroe's is unique in that they have I guess what you'd call a "team-based" wait staff. Everyone serves all tables, so there was never an instance where my drink ran dry or having to wait 10 minutes for the bill to arrive. A+

I recommend Monroe's to any person who loves New Mexican (or Mexican food). Quite simply, it's become one of those memorable restaurants in our household that we compare every Mexican place to now. Sadly, this has made us dislike some of our favorite mexican restaurants now that we've "seen the light". Monroe's just hits it out of the park. The food is awesome, the service is excellent, the prices are more than fair, and there's ample parking despite being near downtown. I can't say enough about it.