“Great Tex Mex”
Review of Church Street Cafe

Church Street Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Church Street Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,802 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Old Town
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Food was excellent. Portions good. I have been eating good Tex Mex and Mexican food in Texas for 40+ years and I thought Church St Cafe in Albuquerque was as good as I have ever had. Pork tamales and beef enchiladas with red sauce is phenomenal. We ate there 2 nights when in town and can confirm the great food was not a one time experience.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

The food was delicious. I decided to do something different and it was the right decision to make. Tamales with green chili sauce and the squash. Yum!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Do not eat here. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and my wife and i decided to give it a try.
I ordered the Tamales and only took two bites and my wife immediately knew I didn't like it and brought it to the attention of our waiter, Marcus....Marcus graciously brought me Fajitas, but they were not all that great either. Keep in mind, my wife hardly says anything.

This restaurant is in a tourist trap area and would encourage someone looking for authentic flair to look elsewhere.

1  Thank sbissell
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our first dinner in New Mexico, all excited to have authentic New Mexican food. Hotel guy recommended Church Street Cafe, especially their Navaho Tacos (like regular tacos but served on fried bread instead of on tortillas.) So we go and order our meals, with a pitcher of Agave Margaritas to celebrate the start of our vacation. After the first generous pour, we all look at each other and realize there's no tequila in the drink. Turns out it was made with Agave wine because the restaurant is located too close to a church. Three of the four meals eaten were reminiscent of Mexican restaurants all over. The fajitas were thoroughly enjoyed though.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

While walking in Old Downtown Albuquerque we came across the Church Street Cafe also known as Casa de Ruiz. It doesn't look like much from the outside but once inside it is really large and charming. It is one of the oldest buildings dating back to the early 1700.
It was Halloween day and everyone that worked there were dressed up. They have a good menu and the prices are very good. We sat outside and the waiter brought us a basket of nachos and salsa to start, we ate the whole thing before our food came.
The taco salad was very good and the chile will clear your sinuses. The service is wonderful.
This is a great place for a meal and you will not be disappointed.