“Good Food, Pleasant Staff”
Review of Church Street Cafe

Church Street Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Church Street Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 1,816 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Old Town
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Recommended by one of the store owners in Old Town, we stopped here for lunch. The restaurant is located in "Casa de Ruiz" - a former residence - and is absolutely charming. The food was delicious, and the staff was very good. Definitely stop here for lunch while visiting Old Town Albuquerque.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,098)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The location and the building are enviable. The cafe is authentic, historic, in Old Town,with plenty of room in lovely dining rooms and a charming outdoor area. We were there for lunch last year and we enjoyed everything. This year I went there for lunch with two other people. We know New Mexican cuisine better than most people as we travel in New Mexico for business several times a year since 1974. We requested the patio and we were lead to a table with black vinyl placemats that had crumbs and spots of salsa on them from previous diners. They were not changed or wiped off before our drinks arrived. Our distracted and rather bored waiter took our order and after a long wait delivered the worst chile rellanos I have ever tasted. The pepper should have been stuffed with cheese, dipped in an egg batter, fried and then topped with red or green chile. Instead we were served what looked like little fried cheese balls with chile on top. They were so bad we couldn't eat them. They were so cheesy with a chewy type of cheese that I was afraid would choke me and some diced pepper mixed in the cheese. Really? I'm not that picky but I was amazed a classic dish like this could be so poorly prepared. Nothing was good this time. Even the iced tea did not seem fresh and the entire patio area needed a good cleaning including the chairs, tables, silverware, salt and pepper shakers... I wonder how clean the kitchen is? Our plates were not removed, even after the check was dropped on the table as the server passed by. We were not asked how the food
was. I hope this place improves as it is a waste of a beautiful space. I would not recommend it.

2  Thank EarthGirl51
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a super busy restaurant in the old town part of ABQ. We were there for a late lunch and had to wait a very long time for our food and when it came it was not correct. My quesadilla had steak in it and I don't eat meat. My husband's burger came with potatoe salad instead of cole slaw. I think our orders just got mixed up and the food was very tasty. The staff was very friendly.

2  Thank Ritz22556
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Loved everything about this place, food and drinks excellent..... waiter might have been slow to pick up before service though as it could have been a bit warmer, that is my only complaint. Ask for a table in the courtyard or by the fireplace. We didn't know it was back there and it was stunning. Chili Rellenos...YUMMY. Agave margaritas, yeah baby. Loved the ambience, food and location near everything. Will definitely go back!!!!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

If you know and like 'authentic new mexican' food, this place may be for you. The ambience is great but I am not sure I liked my first encounter with this type of mexican food. That is not to say that this place doesnt serve authentic mexican fare. It was probably a bit too authentic for my taste.