“this place was AMAZING”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 13, 2009

This place has fantastic prices, specials, and wonderful food to boot. It is the TOP Indian restaurant in the city by far, and worth the wait if you come in and its busy. I love their Tikka Masala, and every dish I have ever had from there has blown me away.

ajayrajul, owner at India Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2009

Thank you so much for your kind words. We have thrived on repeat business and word of mouth for last 27 years. So, we really appreciate your comments. However, if you have any suggestions for us to improve even more, we would openly welcome it. We will be honor to serve on you again.....Ajay/Rajul Gupta

Reviewed February 6, 2009

I was amazed to see how one dissatisfied reviewer was dropping the overall rating for this very good restaurant. It is quite unfair and if taken seriously will discourage some travelers from a very fine meal. I have never tried carry-out, so perhaps that explains our different experiences.

My wife & I have eaten at India Kitchen on occasion for at least 15 years. We have never failed to enjoy our meal. Meals have always been well prepared and graciously served. There is nothing inspiring about the decor, however, and if what you want is linen tablecloths and crystal glasses, you'll be happier up the road at India Palace. But at India Kitchen, there's no formality. Likely as not you'll be served by the owner. The vindaloo and saag dishes are particularly good, and the Mulligatawny soups (vegan or with meats) are the best I have had anywhere.

Reviewed April 4, 2008

I totally disagree with the review before mine. Now, I have never been to India. I can't speak for the Naan (except that I think theirs is pretty darn tasty.) What I do know is that I eat indian food every chance I get and this place is my FAVORITE. Why?
Because the food is so AUTHENTIC. Many times you go to indian restaurants and the saag paneer, chai, and kheer all taste the same as the last place you had indian. But India Kitchen has incredible flavor that is unique and a treat!
It's also not nearly as greasy ad heavy as the other Indian joints in Albuquerque.
I highly recommend the mutter panner and for desert the RAS MALAI is TO DIE FOR.

By the way, Rajul and her husband have owned this restaurant for a couple of decades now and it is still a relatively undiscovered gem! Rajul even waits on the tables herself. She's so sweet- all dressed up in her Indian sari (sp?) with her bright white American tennis shoes (although made in China, I'm sure).

Please give this wonderful place a chance before you decide the last reviewer was right. I absolutely LOVE India Kitchen.

Reviewed March 8, 2007

I am Indian and love indian food, i have been to countless indian restaurants in England, India and here in other states, this is the first time i have had indian in new mexico (my home state), and i cant believe it could have been sooo bad!! We ordered a take out and ... The papad was stail, the "so called naan" WAS NOT NAAN!! i dont actually know what kind of bread it was, and the 5 different dishes that we ordered looked as if they had been thrown together by Norman Wisdom, If you have never had Indian food before, please do not go there as you will never eat indian again, and they do it no justice!! My kids did not eat at all.

This is the first bad review i have ever written, i am one who rights reviews only when i cant stop thinking about something, usually good! But in this case i have been thinking about it for the past 2 months and finally wrote this.

I hope this was helpful.

1  Thank Indian_M0m
Reviewed August 13, 2005

First of all, there are NO very good Indian restaurants in New Mexico as of this writing, so if you're here and want Indian food, India Kitchen is one of two reasonable options, along with the much larger, flashier India Palace. IK serves meals "thali" style -- each dish served to the person who ordered it on a large steel plate with some rice, papad, chutney and raita -- instead of family-style like most Indian restaurants. The portions are on the small side, especially for the Southwest. That said, the food is decent, prepared fresh, and they have a nice selection for vegetarians, including unusual items like tempeh curry and sarsoo ka saaga (spiced pureed mustard greens) along with the usual chana masala, saag paneer, etc. The owners are a pleasant couple -- the wife hosts, the husband cooks, and they keep pictures of their sons' weddings at the cash register. The ambience is sort of like someone's basement lovingly converted into an Indian restaurant; a pleasant, homey place for a meal.

2  Thank nabq