“An Albuquerque Secret!”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I've never written a review, but for India Kitchen I feel compelled. I think of this place as one of Albuquerque's little secrets. Their food (I'm partial to the curry and vindaloo) is nothing short of superb. The combing of the seasonings approaches some kind of perfection. By itself, their willingness to alter recipes to individual taste is endearing. Meat eater or vegan, you'll love this restaurant and the Gupta's welcoming personal warmth.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Following Tripadvisor customer reviews, we and another couple went to India Kitchen with high expectations. My wife and I were largely disappointed. Our friends professed satisfaction. First, on the ambiance – there wasn’t much. The room is on the dingy side, neither well lit nor “romantic.” We began with samosas, which were fine, but when I tried to order an Indian beer, I was told that the restaurant’s supplier had stopped carrying them. So I settled for a Sapporo. The main courses were just so-so. I ordered a shrimp curry. The shrimp turned out to be small, overcooked and not especially flavorful. Over rice, the dish wasn’t anywhere near as good as what I make at home. My wife’s chicken masala was OK, but not even close to a couple of weeks ago’s Butter Chicken at Amber, in San Francisco by the Moscone Center. The Kulfi dessert – saffron and pistachio ice cream was also less than satisfying, grainy and none too creamy. For our next East Indian meal in Albuquerque, we’ll return to the Taj Mahal. It’s also not at the level of Amber, but we’ve enjoyed several family meals there. Its space is ample and pleasant and its food reliably delicious.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I almost gave out on Indian cuisine here in ABQ until a friend introduced me to this restaurant. I ordered lamb curry and it is delicious. The portion is appropriate, not too small nor huge. My friends have chicken vindaloo and they loved it even if it was spicy. I will definitely go back and try their vegetarian dishes. Service is good. I gave it only 3 stars as compared to other states but for ABQ standard I would say this is the best Indian restaurant!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The service here is good as the owners seem to take care of the customers directly.
Food was ok quality. Not mind blowing Indian food. However, for Albuquerque this is a gem! As there are not many other options for Indian food in this area.

1  Thank snod73
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went there on Easter Sunday with girlfriends parents. Food was a bit different but plenty of choices. Water glasses were refilled constantly. Not a bad place. Dont remember the value since the tab was paid by someone else.