“Great Chinese food”

Chen's Chinese Food Restaurant
Ranked #718 of 1,826 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant for over 30 years. It's the real deal! Great food; very reasonable prices; casual dinning. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Food was average tasting and not very good quality, even though the restaurant was almost empty when I ate here at about 6pm. Prices area a little high given the quality of food served. It's okay if you're in a pinch, but I would try other options if you have time to look around.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We used to go to Chens about once a month but noticed the taste and quality was slipping. The sauces tasted the same or had no distinctive flavor. I had shrimp with lobster sauce and the sauce was just kind of a tasteless goo. My wife had the curry and it was really bad.

Sorry Chens - Saigon wins!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

From what I understand this place use to be the place to eat. From my experience, I would say it went downhill! I did not enjoy my food at all (general chicken with fried rice). The chicken seemed like it was taken from random bits they couldn't use for anything else. The pieces were small and so chewy they were barely edible. I also had a soup that was flavorless. I was dinning with a group of 6 and none of us took our leftovers with us because no one was happy. The place did not feel clean, the carpets are badly over due for cleaning. I would recommend finding someplace else for chinese food.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Chen's is the place for chop suey! It's not fusion (thank God, I hate that crap), it's not swanky (at all), but it is good, solid, Chinese food. It's located on Juan Tabo just south of I-40 and it doesn't look like much from the road (nor inside for that matter), but it's clean, the portions are large, and the service is good in that brusque-bossy-brisk-Chinese-way.

I've had Chinese food in SFO, NYC, LA, Chicago, and Miami. Chen's can compete with the bigger cities, and while I won't say that it's the best Chinese food I've ever had in my life, I will say that it's competent, traditional, tasty, consistent, and cheap (big bonus here!). In fact, my husband and I drive 5 hours from CO every year to A) stock up at Trader Joe's B) eat at Chen's and C) have a Lotaburger (with green chili) at Blake's.

Chen's duck sauce is phenomenal (hard to find at lesser Chinese restaurants) and can be located in a red, plastic, squeeze bottle on each table. The decor inside is on the seedy side but immaculate. Soap operas play on the flat screen TV during the day, so it's probably not the place to impress a first date but a good place to go for a work lunch, casual dinner with a spouse/friend, or if you need to feed a lot of people.