“Excellent sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband and I go for the sushi, we have not been to the teppanyaki (where there's a big grill and everyone sits around it and the chef prepares food in front of you). While the teppanyaki always is busy and we always hear applause coming from over there, we're more interested in the sushi. First off--the fish is fresh. Mind you, this is the middle of the desert--you get what you pay for. If all you want is sushi and you don't care that it's dry and gummy, go buy grocery store sushi. This is fresh and skillfully prepared food. We visit this place about twice a month over the last three years. The waitstaff is kind and helpful, and not overbearing. The sushi chefs are friendly and great to chat with (Hi Nori!). Last night our bill came to $50 and we had ordered a large sake, a caterpillar roll, spider roll, albacore sushi, salmon sashimi, unagi sashimi, and a california roll. All of it was delicious. Long story short (kinda!), we completely don't agree with the previous low-rating posts. This is a good restaurant. We eat at the sushi bar.

3  Thank SuzieCookie

Reviewed January 8, 2012

It's hard to find good tempura--a fine balance of crispy (non-greasy) coating and perfectly cooked shrimp and vegetables. Samurai delivers just that, and the sushi is fresh and tasty too!

1  Thank vickyzzzz
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My extended family went to this restaurant in the late evening and at at the sushi bar side that is completely separate from the grill which appeared to be set up like your typical Japanese steak house. It wasn't that busy and the service was very fast. The wait staff wasn't all that helpful with the menu so you pretty much have to know what you would like from prior experience. Curiously my father tried to talk with the Asian wait staff in Japanese but not a word was understood. The food was fresh, well prepared and the standard sushi choices were there - California roll, volcano, spider, catepillar but nothing out of the ordinary or exception. Prices were pretty standard too - about 10-15 per roll. $9.95 for the California roll. I think this is excellent for New Mexico.

2  Thank tobynh
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We went there for my husbands birthday. We had a really rude short asian waitress lady. She did not come to our table to check on our reffills. Chefs were awesome. he had to yell at her a coule times to refill our drinks. will not go back there unless she is fired!! worst waitress ever!! who the heck hired her!!

Reviewed May 26, 2010

I took my wife and mother-in-law for Mother's day to Samurai Grill on Montgomery street in Albuquerque. We had a reservation for 5:00 pm and were seated. No one had taken our drink order after about 17 minutes had gone by and we had to ask one of the staff to wait on us. The Chef did not arrive at our grill table until about 6:00 PM. This appears to me that the staff did not care if we came back to the restaurant.

1  Thank triptobe