“Not what I was expecting...”
Review of Artichoke Cafe

Artichoke Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Artichoke Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 1,811 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Huning Highland Historic District
Description: The Artichoke Cafe was reopened in 1989 by Pat and Terry Keene. Pat, who was formally trained in New York City, is executive chef and Terry has 30 years experience in restaurant management. Their dedication to the best in food, wine, and service has made this 120 seat restaurant one of Albuquerque's finest dining spots. Its downtown location on Route 66 in the Historic Huning Highland/EDO District, cozy modern decor and rotating art exhibits add panache and charm to its ambience. The food is a mix of French, Italian, and creative American, using only the finest ingredients.
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I was on business and wanted to eat at a nice restaurant in Albuquerque, NM so I decided to try Artichoke Cafe.

Upon walking in I would rate the atmosphere a 4 out of 5 stars. The service was fine and would give it a 4 out of 5 stars. The food was a different story. I had the roasted garlic along with goat cheese. The presentation was great but the mix of olives and capers and sauce that went with it was too salty!!! The waitress asked me how the it was and I gave her my opinion in a nice way and she told me that this was there most popular dish and it has been on the menu for 25 years. I thought to myself oh my word!

On to the next dish...I order the Caesar Salad. It tasted fine but now the presentation looked like it was massed produced. Meaning that they had the lettuce shredded in small long thin pieces with croutons on it. I never seen salad made this way and I have had alot of caesar salads.

Okay onto next dish... I order the New York Strip medium rare and the steak I received was cooked fine, but the quality of steak was very poor and had a heck of a time cutting it up and only ate half the steak.

To sum it up the the restaurant is creative in some of their presentations, but the quality of food is not the best.

I paid $71 for entire meal with no drinks for a 3 course meal and have had a better steaks at Outback steakhouse for about half the cost.

I think the restaurants needs to carefully look at the quality of food they are getting and serving to its patrons.

The service and presentation is fine, but they need to get better quality steaks and also go easy on the salt, and balanced the flavors of their dishes a little bit better...

2  Thank Nicholas O

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Excellent food. Small menu but great wine selections. Waitress was extremely nice and food well prepared. Had an outstanding fish dish--- fresh salmon perfectly cooked while others enjoyed a range of meats and fish, we were all pleased and would return. Especially .oved the roasted garlic app and the roasted rack of lamb.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Have lived in ABQ for 10 years and finally got around to checking out the Artichoke Cafe. Not a place for vegetarians so don't bother. The one entree offered to V's, the Pumpkin Butternut Squash Ravioli is, well, on par with what you could probably pick up at Trader Joes. And pricey to boot. We mustn't let those VegHeads get off lightly! But there is lots of duck fat bacon and lamb sausage to go all around. So glad they have taken the tortured veal off the menu. I had seen that on-line a year or so ago and that's why I wouldn't go. My husband's lamb dish was fair to middling. All in all they are hauling in on steep prices that are just not worth it.

2  Thank Ann L
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We loved this restaurant. As we arrived in Albuquerque late after traveling 7 hours and were starving. We happened upon Artichoke which was a few blocks from our hotel Park Central. We were a bit too casual but they didn't seem to notice. The staff were great, the food was delicious and fresh. We loved the warm fresh bread. I had a blueberry Mojito, a steamed artichoke which came with three different sauces (I loved the Aioli cream sauce), a salad (the one with quinoa), and salmon. My meal was wonderful from start to finish and I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We took our large family to dinner here and found the food and service to be excellent. Although it was a busy Saturday night, we found the waitstaff highly attentive and the atmosphere vibrant. Don't miss this restaurant when in Albuquerque!