“over rated”
Review of Artichoke Cafe

Artichoke Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Artichoke Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,769 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Huning Highland Historic District
Description: The Artichoke Cafe was reopened in 1989 by Pat and Terry Keene. Pat, who was formally trained in New York City, is executive chef and Terry has 30 years experience in restaurant management. Their dedication to the best in food, wine, and service has made this 120 seat restaurant one of Albuquerque's finest dining spots. Its downtown location on Route 66 in the Historic Huning Highland/EDO District, cozy modern decor and rotating art exhibits add panache and charm to its ambience. The food is a mix of French, Italian, and creative American, using only the finest ingredients.
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“over rated”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Had our anniversary here, and was very disappointed. Had asked for a romantic table, but there are none as there is no atmosphere to be had. Table we got was right on top of three others, and noise level was high. Service was good, but food portions were small, overpriced, and not above just mediocre. Would not go back or recommend.

3 Thank haconstruct

Albuquerque
“Completely Disappointed”
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Perhaps the Artichoke Cafe was expecting 6 rich men ready to spend a pretty penny on champagne, appetizers, salads, entrees, desserts, and tea/coffee when I called in a reservation for 6. They were not ashamed to show their disappointment when it was just my family and I coming in for drinks, salad, and a few appetizers.
There are no signs in the Artichoke Cafe that say only come into our restaurant if you plan on eating a full meal. We had, had a big lunch, and had heard great things about the Cafe, so I foolishly decided to bring my family there for a light dinner before they traveled back to Canada.
Don't get me wrong, the service was impeccable as we sat down and browsed over the menu. The service went downhill once we just ordered a round of iced teas and soda. I'm assuming that's when the waiter decided, because we didn't order wine, we were expendable. We continued to order five Caesar Salads, a French Onion Soup, and some Spring Rolls. It took us one hour and forty five minutes to leave the restaurant with our simple order( I am not exagerating.) As we patiently waited for our food(without a single apology from the waiter, or check to see if we needed more beverages), the table next to us, who had come about half an hour after us, had received their cheese dish appetizer, their follow up artichokes, their entrees, and dessert.
When our five salads, one French Onion Soup, and 2 Spring Rolls finally came, we were not too keen on having any dessert and asked for the check.
Money was not why we did not order a huge meal. We went into a restaurant hoping to have a nice environment, and a couple of drinks, with a few bites. I will not suggest to my friends, who have been begging me to choose a place for my baby shower, that we have food at the Artichoke Cafe. I am honestly sad about the service we had at the Artichoke Cafe.

4 Thank Whispet
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Very pleased”
Reviewed August 1, 2008

It's very difficult to find a decent place to have a meal in Albuquerque, especially if one is looking for continental/French, etc. Artichoke Cafe delivered in terms of the service and quality of the food and the presentation. We had a nice window seat and our server was very gracious and easily answered all of our questions. Compared to restaurants of the same caliber in Santa Fe, the Artichoke is really good food at a decent price. I'll be back soon

1 Thank foodlover505
Santa Barbara, CA
“Amazingly well done”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Attended a wine dinner event in July, 2008, wherein the chef and staff had to feed about 2 dozen people. I know this is difficult but the food was marvelous and marvelously complimentary to what were somewhat disappointing wines. In fact the food may have salvaged the event altogether.
Creative ideas, good ingredients and great execution. Who knew ABQ held such a wonder.

1 Thank RHSSantaBarbara_CA
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed June 18, 2008

I took my boyfriend to the Artichoke Cafe for our anniversary, and we were really disappointed. The food was good, but not as awesome as we thought it would be, and he ordered a 20 dollar plate of ravioli stuffed with mushrooms. They were really good, but there were only 8 of them. We left the table still hungry, and we are not people that eat a lot. My salad was good, but nothing spectacular. Not worth the expense.

2 Thank marathongirl505