“Good food, but a bit costly”
Review of Artichoke Cafe

Artichoke Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Artichoke Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 1,816 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Huning Highland Historic District
Description: The Artichoke Cafe was reopened in 1989 by Pat and Terry Keene. Pat, who was formally trained in New York City, is executive chef and Terry has 30 years experience in restaurant management. Their dedication to the best in food, wine, and service has made this 120 seat restaurant one of Albuquerque's finest dining spots. Its downtown location on Route 66 in the Historic Huning Highland/EDO District, cozy modern decor and rotating art exhibits add panache and charm to its ambience. The food is a mix of French, Italian, and creative American, using only the finest ingredients.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I took the whole family here for dinner recently, to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. I have an adult daughter who is very in to organic and healthy food, and she chose the Artichoke Cafe. The establishment is clean and reasonably comfortable, but ambiance could be better for a restaurant in this price range. We had prompt and courteous service, and the food was very good. Although, if you’re a hearty eater, you may not be happy with the portion sizes served here. The prices were a bit on the high side. We had no appetizers, no alcoholic beverages and no desserts, and the bill, with tax and tip, for 4 adults and one child, still came to nearly $140.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

After getting recommendations from friends and reading reviews, decided to try Artichoke last night. Came at 7:30 with no reservation and got right in. Service was spotty from the start. Were offered menus and drink menu but no wine menu. Wine selections by the glass were weak. Had to ask for water twice. Drink my wife got was wonderful. My wine was OK.
Appetizer that took over 20 minutes to get was calamari with two dipping sauces. Calamari was chewy and not very crisp. Sauces were good.
Wife had the veal scallopine that was not thin and tough though the sauce was good. The manager and waiter spoke to us about this and explained that their veal deliveries were inconsistent. An explanation but not excusable for a restaurant with a chef. If the veal wasn't acceptable, it should not have been on the menu. They gave us 1/2 off for that despite the fact that my wife ate practically none of it. They offered to replace it but it was already 8:30 and this had taken an hour to get to us.
I had the lamb bangers and mash that was good.
With the 1/2 off the bill was still over $100. Not a good value and not the experience I was expecting. The veal should have been comped completely for me to come back.

1  Thank lleichtman
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had one night in Albuquerque on our way to Colorado. I looked at the reviews of this restaurant and although they looked promising, we were completely blown away at how wonderful this place was. We did not want southwest cuisine or western cuisine - this is a very fine dining establishment. Food was imaginative, wine list was great and the atmosphere was just what we wanted - someplace quiet, but not stuffy. If you love food and wine, this restaurant will not disappoint. My husband had the scallops, I had the duck....both were outstanding!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Not a term normally associated with Albuquerque dining but a perfect description for the Artichoke. Wandered in after arriving in town with no reservation and had a meal that was superb! Great food, wine, atmosphere, and service. Definitely a place to return to!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This restaurant was a couple of blocks from the Parq Central. Not inexpensive but the food was very good and service was also. American menu should have something for everyone. Would not recommend for children.