“Great restaurant”
Review of Artichoke Cafe

Artichoke Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Artichoke Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,799 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Huning Highland Historic District
Description: The Artichoke Cafe was reopened in 1989 by Pat and Terry Keene. Pat, who was formally trained in New York City, is executive chef and Terry has 30 years experience in restaurant management. Their dedication to the best in food, wine, and service has made this 120 seat restaurant one of Albuquerque's finest dining spots. Its downtown location on Route 66 in the Historic Huning Highland/EDO District, cozy modern decor and rotating art exhibits add panache and charm to its ambience. The food is a mix of French, Italian, and creative American, using only the finest ingredients.
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Dinner at The Artichoke Café was a good experience on all fronts: the service, the atmosphere, and the food. The menu offers plenty of variety, and there's an extensive list of wines and beers. The whole meal was delicious; I just wished I had room for dessert.

1  Thank joancs

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by hotel staff following a long day of travel. Robert, our server was very helpful in accommodating my wife's dietary restrictions with the ingredient info on the rainbow trout entree. The food quality was superb, also. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was that the furnishings and decor are tired and the serving portion of my pumpkin ravioli could have been larger in relation to the menu price. Overall, we were pleased with our experience at the Artichoke.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I always love eating here. The food is always top notch and the service is too. The last time I went, my guest had some dietary restrictions and the staff was very willing to accommodate her. My only beef is that I wish they would change up the menu. They've had the last one for a while.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were staying at an incredible, historic Bed and Breakfast in Albuquerque and asked the owner where he thought the best place to eat was. Without hesitation, he suggested Artichoke. Boy, was he right! Although it appears to be a store front restaurant from the outside, and the neo-modern decor is not what one expects in Albuquerque, look past that and stare at the menu. Every appetizer and entree that appears is seemingly more inviting than the last one youread about, and from what I ate, they are all beautifully presented and delicous. This was one, truly gourmet restaurant, without the gourmet pricing. the wait staff was very knowledgable and they made me feel totally at home. It is truly a hidden gem in Albuquerque!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Planning a romantic date night, I scanned the reviews of the local fine dining spots and chose the well reviewed Artichoke Cafe. Having a 7:00PM reservation, my boyfriend and I arrived and were given a choice of three tables. So far so good. The restaurant was bustling with the conversations of customers and quick moving staff. Out table was nestedl in an alcove along with two other small tables for tlessow. The lighting and surrounding were pleasing. The menus arrived and we scanned the choices for the night: beef taquitos and crabcakes for appetizers, bacon-wrapped scallops and beef tenderloin for entrees. I ordered a glass of wine while waiting for apps and was horrified when the waiter came back with a tiny flask of wine, reached over me and dumped the wine into the wine glass to my right. As a 20 year restaurant professional, I.m well aware of portion control, but this practice was inappropriate. The wine servina was way less than then the usual 6 ounce pour. The actual pour was only a quarter of
the large wine glasses set on the tables. We waited a very long time for the apps. So long that I almost drank the entire glass of wine. The waiter was inattentive and finally said he'd
check on them. The crabcakes were lukewarm and the taquitos were a bit tough. My bacon-wrapped scallops were but a small dot in the large serving plate. The accompanying fingerling potatoes and green beans merely a garnish. My boyfriend beef tenderloin (ordered medium rare) was so raw that he couldn't chew. The waiter took it back to the kitchen, which took so long that I was finished eating when his entree came back. Bar none, this beef tenderloin was
small, tough, full of gristle...basically not a high quality beef. Not to be discouraged, we ordered
a dessert to split: ice cream profiteroles with chocolate & caramel. Again, we waited a long time for the dessert to arrive...no apologies from the waiter. The dessert plate was elegantly
plated but the profiterole pastry was tough and cardboard like, the chocolate and caramel were
only a design on the plate. So disappointing...especially for a $100 plus bill for two. I wanted so much to love this restaurant. But at these prices, there won't be a second visit.

1  Thank FitzFoodie