“Disappointing First Time”
Review of Artichoke Cafe

Artichoke Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Artichoke Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,802 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Huning Highland Historic District
Description: The Artichoke Cafe was reopened in 1989 by Pat and Terry Keene. Pat, who was formally trained in New York City, is executive chef and Terry has 30 years experience in restaurant management. Their dedication to the best in food, wine, and service has made this 120 seat restaurant one of Albuquerque's finest dining spots. Its downtown location on Route 66 in the Historic Huning Highland/EDO District, cozy modern decor and rotating art exhibits add panache and charm to its ambience. The food is a mix of French, Italian, and creative American, using only the finest ingredients.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Planning a romantic date night, I scanned the reviews of the local fine dining spots and chose the well reviewed Artichoke Cafe. Having a 7:00PM reservation, my boyfriend and I arrived and were given a choice of three tables. So far so good. The restaurant was bustling with the conversations of customers and quick moving staff. Out table was nestedl in an alcove along with two other small tables for tlessow. The lighting and surrounding were pleasing. The menus arrived and we scanned the choices for the night: beef taquitos and crabcakes for appetizers, bacon-wrapped scallops and beef tenderloin for entrees. I ordered a glass of wine while waiting for apps and was horrified when the waiter came back with a tiny flask of wine, reached over me and dumped the wine into the wine glass to my right. As a 20 year restaurant professional, I.m well aware of portion control, but this practice was inappropriate. The wine servina was way less than then the usual 6 ounce pour. The actual pour was only a quarter of
the large wine glasses set on the tables. We waited a very long time for the apps. So long that I almost drank the entire glass of wine. The waiter was inattentive and finally said he'd
check on them. The crabcakes were lukewarm and the taquitos were a bit tough. My bacon-wrapped scallops were but a small dot in the large serving plate. The accompanying fingerling potatoes and green beans merely a garnish. My boyfriend beef tenderloin (ordered medium rare) was so raw that he couldn't chew. The waiter took it back to the kitchen, which took so long that I was finished eating when his entree came back. Bar none, this beef tenderloin was
small, tough, full of gristle...basically not a high quality beef. Not to be discouraged, we ordered
a dessert to split: ice cream profiteroles with chocolate & caramel. Again, we waited a long time for the dessert to arrive...no apologies from the waiter. The dessert plate was elegantly
plated but the profiterole pastry was tough and cardboard like, the chocolate and caramel were
only a design on the plate. So disappointing...especially for a $100 plus bill for two. I wanted so much to love this restaurant. But at these prices, there won't be a second visit.

1  Thank FitzFoodie

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Was part of a fairly large group (8) and had our best meal of the week during a conference. As others have mentioned, the menu alone will bring you back with so many great choices. I had to have the artichoke as a starter - best part were the two dipping sauces along with the mayo. Others had the toasted garlic and loved it. All the entrees were great including the flank steak w/frites (finally real frites as close to Paris in a long time) but I think the group favorite was the scallops wrapped in prosciutto. Did not find the prices out of line. Wine list good, but better was honest advice given by the server. Service good. Place is much bigger than you may think ... the bar the back looks fun and would be perfect for a single traveler. We also started with the Gruet Rose which was a big hit. All in all the best of our time in ABQ. I'll be back!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

One of the best if not the largest wine lists in Albuquerque. Selective if not extensive entrees well prepared to order. Small private rooms make for intimate dining. Very good service and reasonable pricing.

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Last night was date night with another couple. The four of us were seated at a great corner table on the upper level. We enjoyed cocktails - the Martini Electrico is magnificent! - and a bottle of Gruet Rose sparkling wine with our appetizers of steamed artichoke and seared ahi tuna with basil pesto and olive tapenade. We each ordered a different entree - veal scaloppine, chicken schnitzel, beef tenderloin, and duck breast - and everyone enjoyed it immensely. Finally we split the lime with coconut and nutty butter desserts, their first night featuring these new desserts, and enjoyed every bite. The service was friendly and attentive and very well paced. We didn't feel rushed at all. It was an immensely enjoyable evening all around!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our hotel was in walking distance of this restaurant, so we arrived at 7 on a Thursday night, with no reservation. The place was packed, but the hostess was extremely nice and we were seated in about 15 minutes, pretty much as promised.
As soon as we were seated, our waiter let us know he was swamped, but he acknowledged us and said he would return in a few minutes, which he did. I found this refreshing, that he didn't just let us sit there and wonder.
Well, I can see why the place was packed. The food is terrific. Salads were excellent, my husbands steak was great, I had a couple of appetizers for dinner, both were tasty. Would go back again with no hesitation.