“Pleasantly Surprised”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Lubbock, Texas, United States
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Throwback to the 70's in decor, but the filet with eggplant and bernaise sauce was awesome. I will eat here again the next time I pass through Albuquerque.

• Visited August 2012

Cedar Crest, New Mexico
“Cozy and 50ish”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A favorite place for a nice dinner. Quiet and friendly.

Visited February 2012
“Best Steak in Dirt Town!”
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Paul's gets it right every time
Great Steaks- quality beef, simple preparation. Epicurean Salad is crispy and ocean fresh. Professional wait staff who take pride in their craft. The decor and atmosphere proudly date from a time when good service and quality product were standard. Oh and the Martinis are perfect. The dinning room and the lounge are both good choices depending on your mood.

Misawa, Japan
“Consistently wonderful”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I live very far from Albuquerque, but I make a point of eating at Paul's every time I return without fail. Each time, I'm so grateful that it hasn't changed a bit. Dark and cozy, with comfortable booths, and some waiters who have likely worked there for decades, but in the best sense possible. Generations of families have been eating at Paul's because it has refused to move with the times; it is a true American classic and is the only place like it in Albuquerque. In a sea of chain restaurants, waiters and patrons who feel they need to discuss the nuances of a piece of celery, and the constant up-sell, Paul's stands on its own as the real deal--great steaks and cocktails with no fuss, gimmicks, or fake charm. I can only hope it remains this way for many more years.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank HappyTravels39
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never knew what I was missing!!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband suggested going there for dinner tonight. I was a little hesitant. I thought it was some run down bar. I have only been living in Albuquerque for about 5 years, but my husband has lived here all his life. He said he ate there once when he was a child, but didn't remember much about the place. He said he has always heard good things. So, I agreed to go there, and I am glad I did!! I loved the atmosphere! Dark and romantic! It's like you've gone back in time. The service was great, and the food was awesome! I had the filet mignon and my husband had the porter house. We ended up sharing our steaks with each other. It was pricey, but I think well worth it. We decided we will go back! Like I said in my title, I never knew what I was missing, but I am glad I found out!!

1 Thank RobinAlayne