“The BEST in Albuquerque...and I AM Mexican!”

La Salita Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 1,791 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: La Salita Restaurant has been serving New Mexican food to many generations of customers in Albuquerque Northeast Heights since 1965. Our family owned and operated restaurant shares the best parts of New Mexico with our customers. We want to ensure that eating at our restaurant is not simply a wonderful dining experience but a home away from home in a warm inviting atmosphere. We take pride in offering our customers fresh products every time they visit. Our recipes are prepared in house, from scratch, everyday to ensure quality, flavor and consistency. Whether it's your first or fiftieth time we want it to be the same, every time. Everyday our goal is to ensure our customers are comfortable, satisfied, and full... That's how we measure our success.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This is the BEST in Albuquerque! I have been eating here for almost 30 years, and the food is consistently the BEST there is! Sorry about the reviewer from Texas, but then he is from "Texas", what should we expect...Texmex? Sorry, I HATE food that is corrupted with Tobasco sauce and Jalapenos! This is New Mexico GREEN CHILE land! I grew up eating REAL, Mexican food. (My grandparents owned land in Mexico and Left during the horrors of the last revolution. My great uncle was a Christero.) Anyway, the food at La Salita is totally unique and amazing! Cindy has been cooking there forever, although she doesn't look it! Her food is rather unique as she adds a gourmet touch to it; using turkey and other ingredients that add additional flavor to the food. The Friday special is by FAR the BEST carne adovada in Albuquerque!!! If you are in Albuquerque, this place is a MUST! (It is extremely busy, so be prepared for a short wait if you arrive during peak hours. (This alone should be a HUGE hint, as the locals absolutely LOVE this place and it is really busy, especially on Fridays for the special! The fact that the cheap geeks from Sandia National Labs absolutely thrive on this food should say it all! AWESOME FOOD AT GREAT PRICES! (Always try the special of the day!)

2  Thank 1abqdad
There are newer reviews for La Salita Restaurant

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

I'm sorry, but this was just barely on par with ponchos Mexican buffet (if you're not familiar with ponchos, go look it up). I really don't agree that this could be the best or one of the best Mexican/southwestern restaurants in all of Albuquerque. Will not be eating here again.

1  Thank sosupilot
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Hands down my favorite New Mexican restaurant. The salsa always has just the right amount of kick to it. The staff are the best. Always super friendly, know you by name, and some know my order by heart. The turkey stuffed sopapillas are my favorite! You can't go wrong with anything you order! It's small and frequently busy, but trust me, it's worth the wait!

1  Thank bleujello7
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is flat out the best Mexican restaurant I have ever eaten at! Really what more is there to say after that? I have eaten at tons of Mexican restaurants. None of them even come close to La Salita.

The best cheese and onion enchiladas I have ever eaten. The best beef burrito I have ever eaten. The best sopaipilla I ever eaten. One of the best beef tacos I have ever eaten [only complaint was the shell was so fragile it fell apart, but the stuff inside was first class]

There was a line of people waiting to eat--and it was raining! Now I know why!

If you are ever in the vicinity you need to make the effort to get here and eat. You won't regret it. Neither will your stomach. You will leave with a smile on your face.
If I hadn't been a grown man I probably would have started crying while I was eating--it was THAT good!

1  Thank James V
Reviewed March 11, 2014

While visiting the Albuquerque area, we checked Trip Advisor for Mexican restaurants and decided to give this one a try. We are so glad we did! Monique was our very attentive waitress and all the staff were very friendly. The restaurant was packed which was a very good sign. We tried the chile con queso which was very, very tasty and a huge portion. Their salsa was served at a warm temperature and wasn't hot to us at all but very tasty too. I ordered the combination plate #2 which came with a cheese enchilada, tamale and ground beef taco. Husband ordered combination plate #3 which was a stuffed sopapilla and ground beef taco. We took 1/2 of each plate home to enjoy later because we were full. Then came the wonderful sopapillas which we could barely finish. We can't wait to visit here again!