“Best New Mexican in New Mexico”

La Salita Restaurant
Ranked #55 of 1,826 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: La Salita Restaurant has been serving New Mexican food to many generations of customers in Albuquerque Northeast Heights since 1965. Our family owned and operated restaurant shares the best parts of New Mexico with our customers. We want to ensure that eating at our restaurant is not simply a wonderful dining experience but a home away from home in a warm inviting atmosphere. We take pride in offering our customers fresh products every time they visit. Our recipes are prepared in house, from scratch, everyday to ensure quality, flavor and consistency. Whether it's your first or fiftieth time we want it to be the same, every time. Everyday our goal is to ensure our customers are comfortable, satisfied, and full... That's how we measure our success.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Have been eating here for 25 plus years. Never had a bad meal. In fact, it's simply the best in town. Now a bit more upscale and the prices are a bit higher but still worth every penny.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My family and I have been coming here for many years and are never disappointed. They are extremely open to special orders (I routinely order burritos with no tortillas and "burnt" cheese...better than you could ever imagine) and their specials (turkey and swiss) are to die for. The staff is warm, welcoming and loving to regulars. I'm not only happy to say I love the food at La Salita, I'm happy to say the people are incredible! Come here for a truly authentic New Mexican meal, and continue coming for the great staff.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've been a customer of La Salita for about 30 years and have eaten there more often than I can count! The previous owner (now, sorry to say, deceased) liked to take credit for developing New Mexico Style Mexican food many years ago! The current owner kept his wonderful recipes. In 30 years, I've never been disappointed. It's one of the few restaurants where eager diners line up outside in any weather waiting for the doors to open! The Wednesday Special, the smothered shredded beef burrito, is a Special Treat! I've been known to ask for leftovers every other day in the week! However, it's now available on Saturday, too! The Carne Adovada burrito on Friday is a close second to the shredded beef burrito. The meal wouldn't be complete without the huge wonderful sopaipillas, light and puffy - to eat with the meal or as dessert! There are dozens (if not hundreds) of Mexican food restaurants in Albuquerque, but over the years, the friendly staff and wonderful food kept me coming back. The atmosphere is modest and practical, without a phony Mexican motif, and the food - well, it doesn't get any better! The heated salsa for the chips is another wonderful specialty, rarely found. Now, my mouth is watering - again. One of the very best Mexican food restaurants in the Southwest!

1  Thank Ike2011
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We had a great dinner here with family. Loved the food and the fact that you can order small bites or smaller portions.
I would recommend it and would dine here again.

1  Thank nanannrose
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Made it here for lunch on a Friday. Greeted warmly, great mix of patrons from young to old, singles, couples and families. Appears mostly locals unlike us, just visitors. Nice environment as a local establishment. Service was friendly and prompt asking us if we had questions on the menu and providing some suggestions. We had the half or lite portion of stuffed sopapilla and chile relleno. Just right for lunch. Both red and green chile is awesome. Warm but not too hot. Great flavors all around. Make sure you save some calories for the sopapillas with honey to top it off. We would eat here often if we lived here.