“Great funky place, loved the steaks”

Monte Carlo Steak House
Ranked #46 of 1,852 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2013

When you drive past, this place looks like a liquor store, because the liquor store is in front, the restaurant in back. The liquor store came first, then, about thirty years ago, the steakhouse. Inside, it is a classic bar/steakhouse. Curved banquettes and tables for diners, dim lighting, friendly and helpful staff. We both had a ten ounce rib eye with potato, salad, and texas toast, prepared to order, yummy. The restaurant was reviewed on Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives. We were happy with our meal.

1  Thank peterthegreatmlkj

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I noticed since I first came to Monte Carlo years ago the prime rib dinner has gone from $12.95 to $22.95 for Friday/Saturday. It comes with a standard iceberg salad and a starch side. I'm okay paying that much for a mediocre quality side dish when the meat is quality, but it is no longer the case. 1. This is the fourth time that I've arrived at 5:45 p.m. to a packed restaurant, waited an hour, and informed that the prime rib dinner was sold out. Even though this is the signature dinner for Friday/Saturday management cannot seem to get the prep quantity correct, even after so many years. 2. I was told by the waitress that the T-bone was a good second choice. She returned 5 minutes later to let me know that all the T-bones were gone for the night. Ended up with the New York sirloin. 3. The NY sirloin was not what I wanted, but the rib eye was $26.95 and nothing else looked appealing. The NY sirloin was slightly overcooked (ordered med/rare) and definitely not juicy. It worked better as a steak/egg breakfast not as an expensive dinner. I was so disappointed that the prime rib was sold out once again that I have decided that this was my last visit. The price no longer comports with Monte Carlo's offerings and atmosphere. It is just to hectic, has poor quality service, and consistently limited meat choices after 6 p.m. For the same price, I have found 3 restaurants that are consistent and of better quality. Goodbye my friend, I am saddened that it has come to this.

2  Thank BobABQ
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Had to try Monte Carlo last time we were in Albuquerque. We were curious about their Greek offerings, but this is a steakhouse after all, so we ordered steak. I was pleased with mine, my wife not so much. The salad and baked potato were generous and good. But the steak required more work to cut and chew than it should have. I wonder if they are serving select grade instead of choice. Service was very good.
We'll be back in Albuquerque within a month. We may go back to Monte Carlo again. If we do, I'm sure my wife will have something Greek, and I might too.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I had a porterhouse steak that I did not even need a knife for is was so tender and rich in flavor that I wanted to eat another one but I was to full. this steak house should be featured on TV for its flavor and the staff makes you feel welcomed, although they were very busy when I got there they came right over and told me about their specials and informed me a a slight wait because of the packed house but it was only 10 min. which was fine with us. When the food came everyone at the table was blown away by the overwelming flavor the steak had. I love this place and plan on going back many times...

3  Thank Anthony G
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Good old fashioned steak house. Great steaks and spirits. Always see someone you know. They don't have much turn over so the wait staff is consistent.

2  Thank Douglas J