“A rotten stay at an HGI in Albuquerque”

Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque / Journal Center
Ranked #39 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A rotten stay at an HGI in Albuquerque”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I am a Diamond Hilton Member and stay regularly at another HGI in the Albuquerque area. My stay at this HGI was disappointing to say the least.

The business center was in disarray and I was unable to print a much needed work document - after trying three different ways.

My room service order was an hour late and I was told the reason for the delay was that the meat in my entree was "still frozen."

My biggest concern, however, surrounds a maintenance issue. The sink in my room was draining slowly. I left for work during the day and returned back to my room to find the door propped open. I knocked and then entered, expecting to find housekeeping. What I found instead was a sink full of water, dirt and muck on the floor and on my personal belongings on the counter. I waited 15 minutes and when no hotel staff returned, I locked the door and went to the front desk. I inquired about what was going on in my room and why it was left open and unattended with my personal belongings inside. The response from the maintenance staff was "Well, I am in there." I responded that he was not in the room and had not been in the room for at least 15 minutes and that while I was not upset that they were doing maintenance on the room, I was deeply concerned that hotel staff felt it was ok to leave my room wide open and unattended.

I then asked for housekeeping to come clean the floors and counters. While the housekeeper (who was very kind) was cleaning, I overheard a conversation between maintenance and the front desk, arguing about who was going to tell me I had to move rooms. I was relocated to the room next door. Only housekeeping offered their assistance.

I would not stay at this HGI again. Next time I am in Albuquerque, I will return to the HGI Uptown where I routinely receive excellent service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hilton G, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque / Journal Center, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We do appreciate all feedback, both negative and positive.

We certainly do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay with us. I encourage you to contact the hotel directly at (505) 314-0800 and speak with our General Manager, Michelle Rankin. We would like to discuss your issues in further detail, and discuss how we can make this up to you.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

New equipment was being installed in the business center and the room was left a mess. The print release feature did not work nor was I able to print from the computer in the business center forcing me to go to Kinkos. Room service ordered on one evening took an hour and I was told the reason for the delay was that the meat I order was "still frozen." Really disappointed with the food at this location. Upon check in, I was put in room 105. When I returned from work one afternoon, I found the door to my room propped open. I entered the room after knocking, expecting to find housekeeping. No one was in the room. I opened the bathroom door and found a clogged sink, maintenance equipment and a mess on the floor and my personal belongings on the bathroom counter. I waited in the room for 10 minutes. When no one returned, I locked the door behind me and went to the front desk. When I inquired why my door was left open - while all of my personal belongings were left in the room - I was told by a maintenance guy: "I'm in there." I responded that he was not in there for at least the last 15 minutes and that I did not appreciate having the door to my room left open. I was then moved to room 103 - which I heard about over a walkie talkie conversation between the girl at the front desk and the maintenance guy - as they could not guarantee that the sink in my room had been fixed. I understand maintenance issues happen in hotels and I am fine with being moved to a room in working order. However, I am furious that hotel staff was so careless with personal posessions of a hotel guest. I stay at Hilton Hotels on a very regular basis and have never experienced such carelessness. The housekeeping staff was wonderful! The housekeeper on duty came to clean up room 105 for me immediately and was the only one that offered to help me move to room 103. While the hotel is in a convenient location for my business in Albuquerque, I do not believe I would be willing to stay at this hotel again after the major concerns I had. Staff at the hotel did nothing to alleviate my concerns and I will choose another Hilton next time I am in town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you again for your feedback.
Bartlesville, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Staff was very friendly and efficient. Easy to find and get on the way. Breakfast buffet was good. Gold membership in HHonors program was included in the room! Business center provided a quiet space to work and get caught up on some work items.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our Breakfast and Business Center. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!
Pacific Palisades, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

i was pleasantly surprised by the Hilton Garden Inn experience. The interior was welcoming....from the fresh cookies at check-in to the coffee and water service in the lobby, to the fresh food in the lobby bar, and fresh carpet in the hallways. The overall impression was one of a better hotel and this I didn't expect. I chose the hotel for its location first and price second, but ended up being very pleased with my choice.

only one complaint..... i stayed there on July4th and the hotel bar/resturant decided to close early since it was slow. There was no notification to those staying at the hotel, or I would have made other plans earlier. This seems very unprofessional, and i was told by the resturant that there were only 2 cars in the lot so they decided to close, sounds like they wanted a free evening to me. No notice to the hotel guests ? With only this place for food ( no room service) it was unacceptable to meas I was left without anyplace to eat since many of the resturants in the area were also closed.I did not eat that night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hilton G, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque / Journal Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We are happy that you found our hotel to your liking.

We do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our Restaurant on the 4th of July Holiday. This issue will be addressed with our Team, and we will work towards a solution that will not inconvenience our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again soon!
Williston, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Located 10-15 minutes from the airport, the HGI is also central to shopping and dining in the Greater Albuquerque area. The property is clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. We were there eight nights and the entire stay was almost "glitchless". Exceptions: one day housekeeping cleaned our room, took the dirty towels and failed to bring clean ones. No worries. I went to the front desk, explained my plight and within 5 minutes, towels were delivered to our room. Second, I asked the front desk if a casual bar was close to the hotel (the hotel bar has beer and wine only). "We have a bar," was the response. When we said we'd prefer something where we could get a cocktail, she was perplexed--not too knowledgeable about the area. (FYI--there are a couple within a mile of the property that we found on our own). Third, we love the fact they have complimentary coffee 24/7. Our last night, around 9:30 p.m. we went to get coffee and found the pot empty. My husband asked the bartender/restaurant manager if there would be more coffee made. He answered with a short, No. So we went to the front desk, where the clerk smiled brightly and said, Of course, I'll get Skip (the bartender?) to make a pot now.
The also have complimentary wine and cookies. Get the cookies fast--they disappear in a hurry. There is a restaurant on property, but we didn't eat there due to the cost. If price isn't a problem, then it's definitely convenient.
There's complimentary newspapers every morning and an indoor pool that's open until midnight, which is nice after a long day of sightseeing. It was also difficult to get the room temperature regulated at night--you're either hot or cold.
My biggest complaint--and it's petty--you have to sign in daily to the complimentary WiFi. I don't know why they can't fix it so that it ends on your last day . Just a little inconvenient but it wouldn't keep me from recommending this hotel or staying there again.

1 Thank Caro1717
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent stay with us! We are thrilled to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you as our return guest in the future!
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Typical HGI, very nice. Wish they had not been out of the complimentary wine in the lobby.
Large room, nice and cool when we arrived. Cookies, yum!!!!!!!
One suggestion for improvement: if the majority of the parking is in front of the building, please build a sidewalk/ ramp for people to walk to the front door without having to walk around in the car's path.

Room Tip: Upper floor, not near an elevator. Always our preference