“Don't be stuck here w/o car relying on taxis, because the food is TERRIBLE and there is no drinking to make up for the rest of i”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Journal Center
Ranked #54 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed February 21, 2012

First trip without a rental car. What a mistake! The food is horrible, there is no "happy hour" (dry), they only have a courtesy van to use for airport trips (but they don't advertise that... Hence I paid $40.00 to get there), Cracker Barrell is the only restaurant in walking distance, the cabs take between 25-30 minutes to arrive, beds/pillows are uncomfortable, remote didn't work correctly, lighting is so poor in the rooms, and the "complimentary" wifi is unusable. I have zero good to say about this place. Puts a major negative on the Homewood Suites brand. I've stayed at other HWS, and have had good experiences, but never again... Can't trust it. And I'm a big Hilton loyal client.

• Stayed: February 2012
Inn_Builder, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Journal Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept our humble apology for not exceeding your expectations. Rest assured that I have taken your comments to heart and will do my best to regain your trust. Since you stayed for three nights we assumed you enjoyed the accommodations. I even drove you in our courtesy van to your meeting at a nearby hotel so you didn’t have to pay for taxi fare. My staff was at your service any time you wanted to know how to use the Internet, operate the TV remote, or get suggestions for nearby dining. However, the laws in our state prohibit us from serving free alcohol to our guests. That’s something we have no control over. We hope you can understand our dilemma. If you wish to discuss the details of your stay please don’t hesitate to contact me via email: Gabriel.Ruiz@hilton.com.

Warm Regards,

Gabriel Ruiz

Reviewed December 17, 2011

I'm a frequent guest at Hilton hotels including the Homewood Suites. As part of a long term business trip, I have been staying at the Homewood Suites in Albuquerque Journal Center for the past week. The property is clean and looks like it was recently renovated. It is laid out very different than other Homewood Suites that I have used. The rooms seem smaller and more cramped. The rooms and the lobby areas are dark. The breakfasts are good but the evening meals are not worth waiting for. Most of all, this hotel is poorly situation. There is absolutely nothing nearby.

So I will rank this hotel as average. Clean, affordable and comfortable. The people who run the hotel are friendly.

I will be moving to another hotel, quite likely the Hilton Garden Inn next door.

Room Tip: Take a deluxe room which are a little larger than the standard rooms. You'll need the space if t...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Stayed 6 nights and was happy with the bed, bath, kitchen, etc. Could be a bit bigger rooms like at the Uptown location. Breakfast was good, and the weekday dinner, while pretty mediocre, kept me from having to go out every night. Service was good, housekeeping outstanding.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Yakama
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This is a great hotel! We stayed the weekend of the Albuquerque Balloon Festival in October. The location is right off Interstate 25, easy to find. The rooms are smaller compared to other Homewood Suites because it was previously some other hotel chain.

Rooms are clean, staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was hot and tasty. They recommended a great Italian restaurant not far from the hotel- Trombino's. The manager Gabe Ruiz was very helpful with a confusing reservation cancellation. Thanks Gabe! They also gave us a ride to the bus "park and ride" for easy access to the Balloon Festival, along with a breakfast bag for the early departure.

I would not hesitate to stay here again. The staff makes this hotel a wonderful choice for Albuquerque.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Breakfast was inedible. Undercooked sausage, watery micro eggs. Desk chair heavily stained. AC on and off every few minutes and very loud. Got a call from front desk while sleeping informing me here had been complaints about noise in my room. I wasn't even snoring. Desk needed to check the facts before waking a guest.

• Stayed: July 2011
gabe_ruiz, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albuquerque - Journal Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We are sorry you did not experience the quality of breakfast and service that you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We review all comments daily with the staff to help us improve to achieve the level of service our guests deserve. We appreciate your feedback and offer our sincerest apologies.

Reviewed April 16, 2011

The rooms at this hotel are larger than what I'm used to when traveling. I had a kitchen, small couch, desk, and king size bed. The breakfast served was outstanding. Full hot breakfast everyday. My favorite was the applewood smoked and peppered bacon. The only complaint I had was that the air conditioning didn't seem to work in my room. I checked out the next day and didn't give the hotel a chance to fix it.

The hotel serves a full dinner in the evening although I didn't take advantage of it.

I actually did a load of laundry in the pay washer/dryer while I was there.

Room Tip: Stay on the north end, close to the stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I stayed 6 nights for a business trip. The hotel is located just off the highway and once you figure out the streets everything is with 15 minutes. Had to drive to Kirtland AFB and it was a 15 minute drive to the Wyoming gate using the local roads. The breakfast is nothing to talk about but the evening snacks can be enough for dinner if you are on a tight budget. I would definitely stay here again if I'm back in town.

• Stayed: April 2011