All reviews non smokers old town route experience classic route guest laundry within walking distance ceiling fan church street cafe central avenue coffee maker nice pool stay there again room was spotless road trip road noise up to date air conditioner
Reviewed August 20, 2018

The Monterey was all that was advertised and more. The staff were about as friendly and accommodating as I've experienced at a motel or hotel. I unequivocally adored the motel and will always stay there when visiting Albuquerque. And the renovations to El Vado, right next door, and the restaurants, taproom, and coffee shop surrounding it were a total delight and made my decision not to rent a car while there but to instead walk or Uber a great one. I never even needed Uber or a car except to get to airport at end of trip. My whole time there I walked a very short distance to a great variety of restaurants and shops at El Vado. (I was traveling to have a medical procedure performed so this was a big deal to me.) I'd highly recommend this motel to friends and family. I loved it and I felt very well cared for.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Jason N
Reviewed August 2, 2018

We always stay at the Monterey while in Albuquerque. This last visit was our first with the new owners and during the grand opening of the sister property - the El Vado Motel at the end of the block. We were not entirely happy to have the Monterey's office closed so there was no staff on the premises and had to check in/out down the block. Central Avenue is a crazy street to navigate with the traffic. The room (#1) itself was starting to show its age with some minor cosmetics/repair needed. Because this room is right up against Central, expect street noise but not too bad after rush hour. We hope the new owners will be able to preseve the quaintness Henry and Boo had for so many years. For $79 a night and within blocks to Old Town and restaurants and zoo/aquarium/museums, plus a sweet pool area, you can't beat the Monterey!

Room Tip: Very good value for your buck but perhaps book closer to the pool away from Central.
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LCLutkin
Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

The room was clean and quiet, the bed comfortable. Was just looking for a place to get cleaned up and rest while traveling through. Area seemed safe, was not concerned of overnight car break-ins. The staff was very courteous and polite during check-in and check-out, and recommended a good place for breakfast nearby starting out in the morning.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank James S
Reviewed June 24, 2018

Clean, small motel in downtown on route 66 and near old town, Indian Cultural Center, Bio park, many restaurants and I-40. Rooms were very clean but old , though that was the charm of the motel. However the pool was not open and was a big disappointment. Would have gone somewhere else if had known before arrival with non-refundable reservations. $85 a night is pricey when there is no working pool and no breakfast comes with stay. Room was very quiet

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Monterey M, Manager at Monterey Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

Dear Angela L,

I am truly sorry that your experience with us was anything less than great; we never like to hear that. I know that our pool being down until this weekend was a huge inconvenience for you, especially with the current temperatures, but we do hope that you will give us another chance to wow you, in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed June 22, 2018

I stayed at several motels on Route 66. I am someone who enjoys history and nostalgia. The location is great. It's not a far walk to the Old Town. The staff was very helpful. The room was clean and not run down like some older motels might be. There is a small guest laundry which I took advantage of.

And the price is right as well. I would certainly recommend the Monterey.

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled solo