“Henry has mellowed”

Ranked #25 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Bedford
“Henry has mellowed”
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed here for the first time five years ago. Our main reason was the cost and close proximity to Old Town. For the most part, things went well during that visit, but we were a little surprised to find the place locked at 4 pm when we tried to check in. Also, the laundry was locked until I asked to have it opened.

During our recent stay, we showed up about 5:30 PM and the door was unlocked and Henry remembered us! I found him to be much more relaxed this time.

Although there are still some run-down places nearby, the area seems greatly improved in terms of urban blight over the past five years.

• Liked — proximity to Old Town, pool
  • Disliked — traffic
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank DRKellogg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
South Freeport, Maine
Reviewed July 8, 2008

For a middle-aged traveler looking for something different, this place was ideal. Room was clean and affordable, place had a quaint, route 66 retro-vibe, easy 2 block walk to old town, convenient to bus service for easy access to all of albuquerque.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank topgrantman
Lancashire
Reviewed June 29, 2008

The Best! Certainly the best value for money on our trip!

Once you survive the interview with the Polish owner regarding smoking and pets, the rooms are all you could want. Clean, fresh, well appointed. There is a pool, laundry, microwave, and excellent air conditioning in the room.

We loved the bushes and flowers growing outside our room.

If we ever come back to Albuquerque - this is definitely the place we would stay.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda F
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We stayed here based on my memory of reviews here on tripadvisor. We were tired, and even though we could have stayed at many other places in Albuquerque for less money with the coupons from the welcome centre, we decided to stay here. The rating is based on the value to money that we experienced in my opinion.

The room was very clean and with relatively new furnishings and carpet. I was surprised that there was a strong scent in the room when we first entered (I have asthma and often have a reaction to the room sprays that hotels use). Thankfully I didn't have a reaction and the scent quickly disappeared. The fridge was handy to have. I loved that we parked right in front of the room and bringing the bags in and out was a breeze. The gardens around the rooms and pool area were beautiful, with many of them including the roses being in bloom.

The pool area was very nice. The pool was a bit cool (not horribly so) and I went to look at the thermometer. When I was looking at it the lady of the hotel said it was broken, and she knows her husband sets the pool heat to I think 85 degrees. This is my main complaint. Not that the pool was cool (as I said it wasn't too bad) but that I think she wasn't telling the truth. There is no way the pool was 85, and as far as the thermometer being broken, it showed a lower temperature for the pool in the morning, which made sense since it got quite cool at night. The thermometer seemed to be about right with my experience with swimming. I didn't complain to the management about the pool temperature, and never would have. But I didn't like that I think she was dishonest with me.

Overall, we did enjoy our one night stay here. It is very handy to the old town section.

However, I probably wouldn't stay here again based mostly on price. I travel on a tight budget, and would stay elsewhere for less money in the future. If you're looking for the Route 66 experience thing though, it's certainly a nice clean place. The area seemed nice enough to us.

• Liked — parking right in front of our room
  • Disliked — being told the pool was heated to 85, when we don't believe it was
  • Stayed June 2008
4 Thank ktowntravllr
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This is a classic Route 66 motel, very well-maintained and with a few interesting surprises.

If you're expecting the Hyatt, stop now. That's a different experience. The rooms are decorated in Midcentury Mishmosh, there's no room service, and it's right on Central Avenue.

But I stayed here for five nights on a personal writing vacation, and had a wonderful time. To start with, they are careful about guests, so it was blissfully quiet both day and night. The rooms are immaculate -- I could have used my room for an operating theater. The bathroom was very impressive: clean, new-ish, no grotty grout, and nice and big. The pool is surprisingly large for a motel, and again, is wonderfully clean. Everything worked, and if you've ever spent a vacation asking for new lightbulbs or TV repairpeople or remote-control batteries, you know what I mean.

Plus when I needed breaks I just popped in my car and went to Old Town. Not only that, but right next door is Casa Grande, which doesn't look like much on the outside but inside is a marvelous New Mexican restaurant, perfect for lunch.

After my first night I asked if I could move to a room toward the back, because I had heard a tiny bit of road noise (though it didn't keep me up), and they explained that because I had specified wifi in my reservation, they had given me the best room for wifi reception. I was very impressed that they were so attentive to my needs.

For such a long stay, the fridge was a real plus.

Regarding the host and hostess, the "Mr." on the property is a little grumpy, but the "Mrs." isn't. (Gustav, the dachsund, is a cranky old fellow, but sweet in his own right.)

I would definitely stay here again. It was a relaxing, replenishing stay, and I felt safe and well-cared-for.

• Liked — Clean, safe place with Route 66 charm
  • Disliked — Central Avenue a little too close
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank kgschneider
San Diego
Reviewed June 19, 2008

This was like opening a door to the past. On numerous 1950's era road trips with my family, we stayed in countless rooms just like those at the Monterey. It was like finding an old pair of shoes in the back of the closet and remembering the dance you wore them to.

It is clean, comfortable, quiet, convenient to Old Town, and you can't beat the price. The owner handles all the business in a very perfunctory manner, but ask him a question, any question, and he is very helpful.

I am not sure I would want to spend a whole vacation here, but, just like it was in 50's, Monterey is a perfectly good place to spend a couple of nights while you are on the road.

• Liked — Free internet, convenient location, nostalgic atmosphere
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oscar505
Kentucky
Reviewed May 24, 2008

This is one of the nicest "old" hotels. It is exceptionally clean, the rooms are very large and roomy, it is close to downtown in a nice neighborhood, and the rooms have all the modern amenities that you need. The service, however, was not what I was expecting. If "European hospitality" means rude and abrasive then it lives up to the advertising, otherwise... That being said I would definitely recommend it...just don't ask for extra towels.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Not very friendly
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family