“Old World home away from home”
Review of Monterey Motel

Monterey Motel
Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Have stayed there on vacation often. Wonderful old world hospitality. They treat it like home and it is. Glasses, not platic cups, and the cookies/bisquits are appreciated. Clean and well kept. Swimming pool is wonderful in the summer. In walking distance of Old Town andd the Biological Park and Aquarium. Would love to find a home like this in every town I visit.

Room Tip: Room one is on the street, the rest are great. Even number one is fine, just a little noise from the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Monterey Motel

Reviewed December 31, 2012

All was well upon arrival. Slept well for first night out. Prices and location are great. Very close to old town shops and food. 3 of us had hot water fluctuation but one did not. Suspect user problem since there was plenty of hot water.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel popped up on the United Airlines site while I was booking a flight. Seeing non smokers in the title interested me right away.
I was in the room furthest away from the road and got a great sleep. Being a Sunday (Sept 30th) night probably helped with that. I found the room clean and the owners were very nice. The next morning it was an easy 10 or so minute walk to old town to do some sight seeing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We read reviews and stayed here last night. Right on old Route 66 this 50's style motel was a bargain. Large rooms with fridge and very clean. Comfy beds and as one who travels with a CPAP machine an easily accessible wall plug. In chain hotels we have to do a seek and find then move furniture to find a plug. We needed the heat and it was amply and quietly provided with floor units in both room and bath. This is a must stop for travelers

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Badgelady
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This very small motel is great! Not luxurious, but clean, well kept. Real glasses not plastic in the room. Good wi-fi. Six pillows on queen bed. Very nice welcome---polish chocolates since it was Halloween! Courtyard has climbing toses between rooms. Beautiful geraniums. Guest laundry. No breakfast but the room was only $65 with tax. We didn't get
up until 10:30!

Room Tip: Pick toward the back. Busy street out front.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great value. Great location. Very welcoming hosts. Modest price and clean rooms. Close to the aquarium and the botanical gardens and Old Town. The pool was closed for the season but looked very nice. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I usually stay at a chain property when I pass through ABQ, but it has been going downhill lately. I I can't remember how I stumbled across it, but I found these TripAdvisor reviews and decided to take a chance. By outward appearances I probably never would choose this motel. It's got that old "motor inn" look and is surrounded by mechanic shops. But the pictures showed an updated property with a friendly atmosphere so, something else I never do, I made a reservation (I'm usually a seat-of-my-pants traveller).

The owner was very nice, very helpful, with a good sense of humor. I was being inspected by his dachshund, and noted that the sign says "no pets." He said, "Ya, no pets, but she is not pet. She is boss." LOL!

On my return trip a few days later I had not made any reservations because my schedule was very fluid. I was in Gallup (2 hours away) when I called to ask if by chance he had a room for the night. I said I had stayed there on Tuesday. He said, "Yes, Miss [lastname]. We would be glad to have you back. I still have your information and I'll give you room 3 again since you are familiar." Now that's service! BTW, along with you assigned room you get an assigned parking spot right outside the door. Convenient!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo