“A Small Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Lubbock
“A Small Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This very small motel is great! Not luxurious, but clean, well kept. Real glasses not plastic in the room. Good wi-fi. Six pillows on queen bed. Very nice welcome---polish chocolates since it was Halloween! Courtyard has climbing toses between rooms. Beautiful geraniums. Guest laundry. No breakfast but the room was only $65 with tax. We didn't get
up until 10:30!

Room Tip: Pick toward the back. Busy street out front.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great value. Great location. Very welcoming hosts. Modest price and clean rooms. Close to the aquarium and the botanical gardens and Old Town. The pool was closed for the season but looked very nice. I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I usually stay at a chain property when I pass through ABQ, but it has been going downhill lately. I I can't remember how I stumbled across it, but I found these TripAdvisor reviews and decided to take a chance. By outward appearances I probably never would choose this motel. It's got that old "motor inn" look and is surrounded by mechanic shops. But the pictures showed an updated property with a friendly atmosphere so, something else I never do, I made a reservation (I'm usually a seat-of-my-pants traveller).

The owner was very nice, very helpful, with a good sense of humor. I was being inspected by his dachshund, and noted that the sign says "no pets." He said, "Ya, no pets, but she is not pet. She is boss." LOL!

On my return trip a few days later I had not made any reservations because my schedule was very fluid. I was in Gallup (2 hours away) when I called to ask if by chance he had a room for the night. I said I had stayed there on Tuesday. He said, "Yes, Miss [lastname]. We would be glad to have you back. I still have your information and I'll give you room 3 again since you are familiar." Now that's service! BTW, along with you assigned room you get an assigned parking spot right outside the door. Convenient!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SavvyCat64
Kingman, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This vintage property still retains a AAA rating which is ample evidnce of the owners passion for presenting the modern traveler with the best of the past and the present. As a bonus it is within walking distance of major attractions such as Old Town.
The neighborhood may seem a bit seedy but don't let that deter you from choosing this little gem for a restful nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AdventurerJim
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here and look forward to staying here on our next trip thru Albq. The room and the entire property is very clean, very well maintained, and quiet. Linens were very nice, lots of good pillows. Each room has a designated parking space which ensures a spot by your room. It is within walking distance of Old Town, about 1/4 mile. Overall, a great value for your money.

• Stayed October 2012
Lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stopped in the Monteray in Sep 2012, and was extremely impressed with the rooms size and style especially considering the cost of this motel. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, with everything you need. The rooms were very clean. I was surprised to read other people's reviews stating that the owner was rude. We found him to be very helpful and polite, he even recommended a restaurant that we could try for an evening meal - which we did and he was right it was fantastic. Great Motel, excellent value for money, excellent location - close to historic part of town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, PA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,409 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in September, but somehow my Tripadvisor review got "lost."

I am not sure what I said the first time but this was an incredible hotel located on historic route 66. It was within easy walking distance of Old Town Albuquerque.

As the name of the hotel implies, smoking is strictly prohibited (not an issue for me.) I was questioned about this when I checked in. I was also asked if I had a pet. When I said I did not - but wish I did because I missed mine - I was introduced to the very friendly, sweet, resident daschund, Victor.

Parking is free. There is a very clean heated swimming pool. The room has a coffee pot, microwave oven and a mini fridge. The owner was very friendly. The room was spotless. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in the back. I have no idea how he can charge so little for such a nice room in a terrific location. This would be my first choice should I return to Albuquerque. Highly recommmended.

Room Tip: Light sleepr?? Ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo