“Excellent find.”

Ranked #26 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Lancs
“Excellent find.”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stopped in the Monteray in Sep 2012, and was extremely impressed with the rooms size and style especially considering the cost of this motel. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, with everything you need. The rooms were very clean. I was surprised to read other people's reviews stating that the owner was rude. We found him to be very helpful and polite, he even recommended a restaurant that we could try for an evening meal - which we did and he was right it was fantastic. Great Motel, excellent value for money, excellent location - close to historic part of town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Reading, PA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,811 helpful votes
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in September, but somehow my Tripadvisor review got "lost."

I am not sure what I said the first time but this was an incredible hotel located on historic route 66. It was within easy walking distance of Old Town Albuquerque.

As the name of the hotel implies, smoking is strictly prohibited (not an issue for me.) I was questioned about this when I checked in. I was also asked if I had a pet. When I said I did not - but wish I did because I missed mine - I was introduced to the very friendly, sweet, resident daschund, Victor.

Parking is free. There is a very clean heated swimming pool. The room has a coffee pot, microwave oven and a mini fridge. The owner was very friendly. The room was spotless. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in the back. I have no idea how he can charge so little for such a nice room in a terrific location. This would be my first choice should I return to Albuquerque. Highly recommmended.

Room Tip: Light sleepr?? Ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank luvroma2
VENUS
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was looking for a reasonably inexpensive place to stay for the balloon fiesta, but did not want to stay in one of the many chain hotels. This place was recommended over in the Forum, and it was exactly what I was hoping for -- a place with a little Route 66 flavor at a price I could afford without feeling "gouged" because of the balloon fiesta.

Even though it was an older hotel, this place was gleaming. I don't know if I have ever stayed at a more spotless motel. And my room was HUGE! But the thing I loved the most was having my own assigned parking spot right outside my room. I always hate that feeling of driving in after an evening out, dreading finding the parking places filled. This was never an issue, with my own private space!

Bo, the woman of the couple who owns the hotel was so sweet and friendly! We had several really nice conversations. Her enthusiasm for the balloon fiesta was infectious! She offered several helpful suggestions.

The place is within walking distance of Old Town -- another plus. Cable TV, Ceiling fan. Fridge in the room. Strong wifi signal. I enjoyed my visit here very much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have so far stayed at this motel three times en route from Mexico City to Santa Fe. The female owner is extremely friendly and helpful. We also recommended this place to my parents (70) who were happy staying there as well before catching an early flight from Albuquerque International. There is nothing modern or fancy about the motel but it is inexpensive, extremely clean, safe, comfortable, with good beds, a nice pool and strong wifi. As we are only using Albuquerque as a stop-over the location is another great advantage as it is 5 minutes from Freeway 40 and less than 10 from Freeway 25 (to Santa Fe or airport). The Old Town is basically just across the street. We highly recommend it and will certainly be back.

Marysville, Washington
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Enjoyed our stay. Great location, close to everything we wanted to see. TV reception seemed very spotty, hard to watch any shows. Nice pool. Rooms are small but comfortable. Good value for your money. Advertised as Luxury rooms, not in my book.

Room Tip: We stayed at the end by the pool. Nice and quiet.
South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This peculiarly named hotel is inexpensive ($58 with AAA), clean, tidy, and neat, with a sweet little pool out back. It is definitely the best-maintained of the ABQ Rte 66 hotels on Central Ave: many have fallen to ruin, are abandoned, or have a dodgy look to them. The wi-fi is strong and the room is comfortable. PLUS, the motel is only 1/4 mile walking distance from Old Town, so you can step out for a great dinner. (Make sure to try out the Red Feather Diner for an early breakfast—only coffee and tea in your room, I'm afraid—and get the fry bread :) )

Ps. The name of the motel is even on the sign; it makes you think you are joining some kind of non-smoking cult but I suspect it is a relic from the time when *everyone* smoked in hotel rooms!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2012

For a motel on route 66, I was shocked to find the owner very rude and unfriendly. We had driven for many miles that day and found every other motel we had stayed in to be very welcoming and helpful, however we felt very disappointed and would not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012
nachman105, Owner at Monterey Motel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Yes, im rude for poeple who smoke on property in NONSMOKERS MOTEL.
Why smokers rent rooms in Monterey Non-Smokers Motel?