“Loved this place!”
Review of Monterey Motel

Monterey Motel
Ranked #24 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was looking for a reasonably inexpensive place to stay for the balloon fiesta, but did not want to stay in one of the many chain hotels. This place was recommended over in the Forum, and it was exactly what I was hoping for -- a place with a little Route 66 flavor at a price I could afford without feeling "gouged" because of the balloon fiesta.

Even though it was an older hotel, this place was gleaming. I don't know if I have ever stayed at a more spotless motel. And my room was HUGE! But the thing I loved the most was having my own assigned parking spot right outside my room. I always hate that feeling of driving in after an evening out, dreading finding the parking places filled. This was never an issue, with my own private space!

Bo, the woman of the couple who owns the hotel was so sweet and friendly! We had several really nice conversations. Her enthusiasm for the balloon fiesta was infectious! She offered several helpful suggestions.

The place is within walking distance of Old Town -- another plus. Cable TV, Ceiling fan. Fridge in the room. Strong wifi signal. I enjoyed my visit here very much.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have so far stayed at this motel three times en route from Mexico City to Santa Fe. The female owner is extremely friendly and helpful. We also recommended this place to my parents (70) who were happy staying there as well before catching an early flight from Albuquerque International. There is nothing modern or fancy about the motel but it is inexpensive, extremely clean, safe, comfortable, with good beds, a nice pool and strong wifi. As we are only using Albuquerque as a stop-over the location is another great advantage as it is 5 minutes from Freeway 40 and less than 10 from Freeway 25 (to Santa Fe or airport). The Old Town is basically just across the street. We highly recommend it and will certainly be back.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Enjoyed our stay. Great location, close to everything we wanted to see. TV reception seemed very spotty, hard to watch any shows. Nice pool. Rooms are small but comfortable. Good value for your money. Advertised as Luxury rooms, not in my book.

Room Tip: We stayed at the end by the pool. Nice and quiet.
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This peculiarly named hotel is inexpensive ($58 with AAA), clean, tidy, and neat, with a sweet little pool out back. It is definitely the best-maintained of the ABQ Rte 66 hotels on Central Ave: many have fallen to ruin, are abandoned, or have a dodgy look to them. The wi-fi is strong and the room is comfortable. PLUS, the motel is only 1/4 mile walking distance from Old Town, so you can step out for a great dinner. (Make sure to try out the Red Feather Diner for an early breakfast—only coffee and tea in your room, I'm afraid—and get the fry bread :) )

Ps. The name of the motel is even on the sign; it makes you think you are joining some kind of non-smoking cult but I suspect it is a relic from the time when *everyone* smoked in hotel rooms!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2012

For a motel on route 66, I was shocked to find the owner very rude and unfriendly. We had driven for many miles that day and found every other motel we had stayed in to be very welcoming and helpful, however we felt very disappointed and would not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012
nachman105, Owner at Monterey Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Yes, im rude for poeple who smoke on property in NONSMOKERS MOTEL.
Why smokers rent rooms in Monterey Non-Smokers Motel?

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Traveling on Route 66, this was recommended and we couldn't fault it, even stayed a second night. Very friendly and helpful owner, quite spacious rooms, very clean, the pool is stunning and a great location, what more could you want?

1  Thank Micheled56_12
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were on the road and needed a late night stop. Tripadvisor reviews led me here and they were right. The front desk waited up for us to arrive when we called from the road and gave us a good price. Our room was clean, cool and comfortable. When we have more time to spend here we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple