“Route 66 Retro”
Review of Monterey Motel

Monterey Motel
Ranked #19 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Daughter asked to stay in a old fashioned motel and this fit the bill perfectly. Retro neon sign on old Route 66, courtyard parking at your door. Remodeled but dated inside, small but comfortable. Friendly owners.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
nachman105, Owner at Monterey Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

Thank you for your recent review! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is a wonderful Route 66 motel. I have stayed here four times since 2003 and it is always well-maintained, immaculate and comfortable. My recent stay was no different. Each time I stay I am pleasantly pleased. It's on Central Ave., which is the historic Route 66 and located close to Old Town. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Monterey Non-Smokers is an old Route 66 motel but it has been lovingly upgraded and is spotlessly clean. We particularly enjoyed the colorful sheets. There are lovely rose bushes outside each room. It's great value for the money and a short walk to Albuquerque's Old Town.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Reviews are generally accurate. This place is clean, spacious, and convenient to Old Town. Also in a strip of old, fifties Route 66 motels with vintage signage. Cool place, if you're into that type of thing. Also very affordable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I found this hotel on tripadvisor.com. The reviews were great. I will echo them. We loved staying in a motel that was on Route 66 and had history. The beds were very comfortable and we took advantage of the swimming pool. It was walking distance to Old Town which was very convenient. This motel was the CLEANEST place I have ever stayed. I highly recommend staying at this motel...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was my 3rd, 4th and 5th time staying at the Monterey Non-Smokers Motel (July 3-6, 24-27 and August 7-9). Obviously, to me at least, they have a lot going for them. I previously reviewed them on July 5, 2010 in a review titled "My new 'home' in Albuquerque!" Well, here's the proof that I meant it.

I like the (very convenient) location. I like the (very low) prices. I like the (very clean) rooms. I like the (very clean) pool. I like the (very nice) owners. Henry and Bo are immigrants from Poland and are part of why I enjoy staying here. Their first names aren’t actually Henry and Bo…they just go by them to help customers have something they can pronounce! I always end up chatting for a while with whoever checks me in.

I included a lot of details in my previous review, so I won't repeat them here. Just a couple stories. On my second stay after returning from dinner I ended up talking with Henry and Bo for over an hour about everything from paper shredders to Albuquerque to politics to family to their native country of Poland. Makes me more connected to the motel. Loved it.

Then on my final stay I miscalculated and arrived fairly early. I didn't expect to be able to check in. I was just hoping to be able to park in their overflow parking and then walk over to Old Town. Well, this just shows how flexible they are (unless you're a smoker!). They told me what room I would be having so I could go ahead and park there. Then they had the two people cleaning do my room next. This was neither requested nor needed...but definitely appreciated!

A note on my ratings. Yes, I gave them all 5's (although the cleanliness rating should be even higher than the max). I'm not saying that they're a 5 star hotel. I AM saying that they're absolutely excellent in everything that they are.

So I'll be back again...and again...

Keith

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank KthSch
Reviewed August 15, 2011

While traveling Route 66 the Monterey Motel was my choice to stay overnight in Albuquerque. It was a great selection. It's a family owned motel in a good location. The room was very nice. Parking in front of my door (I was on a motorcycle) was very convenient. A short walk to Old Town in ABQ for dinner. A great Route 66 feel to this establishment.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo