“Hidden Gem”

National Hispanic Cultural Center
Ranked #40 of 224 things to do in Albuquerque
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Mundos de Mestizaje fresco, the largest concave fresco, which took 9 years and covers 4,400sf of a watchtower at the National Hispanic Cultural Center was high on my list of "must sees" in Albuquerque. The biggest problem was getting there! Fortunately, our hotel had a shuttle bus which took us there and we were almost the only people! A docent did a wonderful job of explaining the mural. We then visited the main museum where a special exhibit of Chilean Agilleras, fabric pictures of protest done by Chilean women during the 1970's was being shown. It was heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. Perhaps it was because everyone else was at the Balloon Fiesta but we were so saddened to think that we were in Albuquerque during the height of tourist season and so few people had found this treasure!

There are newer reviews for National Hispanic Cultural Center

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am fascinated by Native Culture and this did not disappoint. So many areas to explore, the history, how they lived, ate, dressed, the art forms I was taken back in time. The restaurant was fantastic. Everyone in NM that I have come across is filled with love and life....it's a very Spiritual, special place......enjoy!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My friends and I went to the Latin Dance Festival that was held at the National Hispanic Cultural Center the weekend of August 24th. It was a beautiful campus. The classes, instructors, and festivities were great!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The NHCC is the only national cultural center located outside Washington, D.C. and reflects the fact that 40% of New Mexico's population is Hispanic. Anyone visiting Albuquerque (we call it the Duke City) should go online to see what's happening there during their visit. There are flamenco shows at the large theatre, learning crafts like papel picado for the kids, art shows and a whole lot more: coming up Day of the Dead at the end of October. At that time there are usually altars designed by schools and classes. My favorite thing is the 3000 square foot mural inside the Toreon (big tower) by Federico Vigil. This massive mural covers the Hispanic history in New Mexico and integrates the Native American cultures as well. It can be visited free on Sundays from 10-4. I have been there many times and was a docent for a time.

1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Sadly, the restaurant was closed for a function, but looked nice. Also, the huge mural building was closed due to an AC problem. Still, glad we went. Great art in a fantastic complex.