“Lovely surprise”

El Patron
Ranked #105 of 1,791 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Very new restaurant. Moved into one of the closed Garduno's after they filed bankruptcy.
Reviewed December 7, 2012

What a wonderful surprise the newly remodeled El Patron in NE Albuquerque was for my mom, my mom-in-law, and myself today for lunch. We had read about it in the paper and decided to try it out. The atmosphere is absolutely lovely, a nice change from the Mediterranean of the site previously occupied by Gardinos. Attractively appointed booths, very airy and light atmosphere, friendly staff, and a greeting by the owner himself proudly standing at the front door area to make sure that the guests left with smiles. And indeed we did leave with smiles. We ordered from a very diverse menu with plenty for those who did not care for the typical New Mexico fare but preferred instead to have something like chili ribs or green chile chicken lasagna. Mom and I ordered from the senior menu the usual red chile cheese enchilada which is the native New Mexican test for how good the restaurant is. If the red chile is good, not too much cheese on the enchilada, the place gets a nod. In this case, the red chile was very very good, the cheese just right, the pintos cooked to perfection and kept whole and luscious. My beef taco was wonderful, particularly with a side of red enchilada sauce to dump over it and the chile relleno was exactly the way that I liked it, crispy, filled with cheese, and covered with a great green chile sauce. Taquitas off the appetizer menu were also ordered and were accompanied with sour cream and guacamole. Our plates were completely clean at the end of the meal. The extra sauce mopped up by perfect sopapillas. Wonderful service, great meal, mellow relaxing atmosphere. We will definitely return and you should too!

1  Thank GourmetBites
There are newer reviews for El Patron

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Drove in to ABQ Monday night and discovered El Patron Tuesday. The food was fabulous and so much, we never had dinner that night.We stopped in to night on my way out of town and the servers introduced themselves to us and we started sharing pictures of our dogs. I will return home tomorrow but I know when my daughter goes out alone to watch Football, she is in a safe and friendly place. They have a happy hour daily from 3-8:30 and if you want to try a great Margarita....this is the place to go. Not expensive at all!!!

1  Thank Carol Ann C
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We used to go to this location when it was Gardunos and were hoping this revival would bring back some of the things we used to love about it. It was not to be. First, they've ripped out all the festive parts of Gardunos and replaced them with boring, rather ugly, booths.

Second, their "salsa" is some kind of chopped tomatoes in a pasty consistency with some jalapenos that give it heat, but overall lacking any kind of flavor.

Third, they charge $13 for a margarita that was basically just sweet fruit juice. There wasn't even a hint of tequila. To their credit, the waitress didn't object when I sent it back and took it off the bill.

Finally, the main course was just as lacking in flavor as the salsa. My steak tacos consisted of tiny cubes of flavorless meat with some flavorless tomatoes and lettuce, wrapped in a spongy, and tasteless, corn tortilla.

A real disappointment and we won't be back.

2  Thank MMcKaibab
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was a first visit to the recently opened El Patron. The senior combination plate was very good value and wholesome food. The restaurant was full on Sunday evening and the server was both upbeat and attentive. Strolling mariachis were good entertainment. Margaritas were also good but too pricey for what was supposed to be "happy hour".

1  Thank hititout
Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you are looking for the best Mexican food in Albuquerque, this is the place!!! I would highly reccommend El Patron! The fish tacos are to die for!

2  Thank TwoCairns17