I read a lot of reviews before deciding to book the Barcelona Suites New Years Party package. Let me first start by saying that the experience in and of itself depends upon your level of expectation for the area in which you're staying... If you are familiar with Albuquerque, keep this in mind. Other than that, here is my review based on my experience.
1. From the outside, the property does not look like much, but once inside you will find a well-maintained, pretty, old-world Spanish style decor. Stained glass windows overhead and a pretty atrium.
2. Front desk was very cordial, helful, and friendly.
3. Parking (underground) was spacious and secure.
4. Upon entering our room (2-room suite, 2 queen beds and sleeper sofa), we noticed the room was ice cold. We turned up the heat on the thermostat and headed to dinner. When we returned, the room had not warmed at all, so we contacted the front desk to find out what the problem was. Maintenance came a bit later and solved the problem. About 1-hour later, the room finally warmed enough for us to change for the party. Noise level outside and above us (we were on floor one/plaza azul) was a bit loud. Children running around outside the room and stomping above made it difficult to sleep in. It also appeared that there are some guests at the hotel who use it as a residence... So there was some trash, cigarette butts (and smokers) outside of the room areas within the courtyard. The room itself was clean.
5. Party was held in the atrium. A mix of attendees in age, taste in music, etc. About 200 people attended. One thing we did notice was the amount of security personnel on hand... Definitely a necessity, since there were at least three fights throughout the night. DJ was OK, but he could have played more popular music to keep people dancing.
6. Bartenders... This is my big point of contention! There were two, probably not enough... But these two were not only slow, but confused and disorganized. On more than one instance, we waited 15 minutes or more to get a drink. Very frustrating!
7. The champagne toast and midnight buffet were great! Garcia's never disappoints, and there was PLENTY for everyone.
All in all, we made it a fun time and for the price it wasn't too bad. My only suggestions would be to ensure that the rooms were in order before guests arrive, that there are more than two bartenders (or at least two experienced bartenders), and keep a handle on the guest room courtyard areas for noisy neighbors and cleanliness.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All rooms are spacious (500 sq. ft) two rooms suites with a separate living area, bedroom, two televisions and pull-out sleeper sofa. Free HOT cooked to order breakfast. Indoor pool, Seasonal Outdoor pool, Spa, and Business Center. Lounge Open Thursday - Saturday. Conveniently located in Uptown Albuquerque close to ABQ Uptown, Coronado Mall, and numerous restaurants. Also nearby to the State Fairgrounds (EXPO NM) and the Downs racetrack and casino. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Barcelona Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelona Hotel Albuquerque