“Balloon Festival Vacation”
Review of Barcelona Suites

Barcelona Suites
Ranked #118 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Everyone we met at Barcelona went out of their way to make our stay pleasurable. The entire staff were kind and helpful, the transportation to the Park & Ride convenient, and our room clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others staying in Albuquerque.

Room Tip: Would select a room that did not open into the atrium area, to avoid any noise from live music durin...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I spent three nights with a friend when we travelled to Albuquerque for the 2012 Balloon Fiesta. The staff is wonderful--from housekeeping to management. Although there is no bell service, we were helped with our luggage by management and the transportation staff. The hotel provided transportation to the park and ride for the fiesta as well as to the airport for a very nominal fee. This is an older Spanish-style property with beautiful Mexican pavers throughout the common areas. Cooked-to-order breakfast was included and the cantina was open 5:00-1:00 Thursday to Saturday. I highly recommend this hotel, and will stay there again if I'm in the Albuquerque area.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room close to the center of the property on the 1st floor for convenience to el...
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were visiting Albuquerque for the balloon fiesta and made reservations at the Barcelona Suites. What a fabulous find. The rooms were spacious and very affordable. The hotel was centrally located. We stayed 5 nights and had enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This makes 3 years in a row staying at this hotel as a balloon fiesta pilot. The reasons I keep coming back are 1. breakfast for pilots and crews starting at 4ish in the morning which is great because we have to be at the field at 6. 2. Huge rooms - these are true suites with a separate living room and bedroom. When you are staying somewhere for a week, that is a good thing. 3. Pet-friendly - my husband insists on taking the chihuahua everywhere! 4. Parking garage - with an expensive hot air balloon in the bed of my pickup, it is nice to not have to worry about rain. The only complaint I have is the shower temperature changes constantly - at least it did in my room this year. I don't remember that in past years, so maybe it is just certain units - mine was 206. I had to call the desk about the air conditioner but they fixed it very quickly. No, it is not particularly close to the balloon field, but it is not much further than most of the hotels we pilots are offered and the extra space makes it worth it to me. I will be there again next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We chose this hotel because the info on the Balloon Fiesta website showed it to be very close to the event. Wrong. It turned out fine becuase we had a car, but check north and south side of city before choosing for location. The hotel was old Spanish sytle. Clean, but dark and dingy. There was not restaurant onsite or nearby. The morning breakfast available was good. The rooms were very dated as were the furniture. The two queen beds were comfortable. There was a small coffee pot, and refrigerator, but no service utensils. Towels were very small and thin. Elevator slow. Underground gated parking helpful but was often found open so if security is important, would question this.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I believe in objective ratings for properties. IMHO, a "very good" rating suggests the property is well above average. The Barcelona Suites does not meet that high bar. I recently staid here for 3 days in Room 129 during the Balloon Fiesta. Perhaps, the crunch of people affected the service rendered? Let me begin with the positives.

The property is well located as a base to explore the area. There isn't much in the immediate area but everyone drives while in Albequerque so that isn't really a problem. The property, whlle older, is clean and feels "safe". The underground parking is appropriate and also feels "safe". During certain hours of the day, cookies and a drink are provided at the front desk. Nice touch. The rooms are large and unique. The jacuzzi tub is a nice touch and the shower is special with the "dualing" shower heads. The in room wi-fi had a strong signal, something you can't say about every hotel. The beds were comfortable and the hotel was a good value. Surprisingly, the room was reasonably quiet at night. The hotel provided an early breakfast for attendees at the Balloon Fiesta. There were no problems checking in or checking out. All these things make this property acceptable.

Now for the reasons I am not rating this property as very good. The property has an elevator to the first floor. Unfortunately, even after taking the elevator, you have to negotiate a few stairs to get to your room. That means you will drag your bags up and down those steps. I saw a person staring at the stairs, looking very confused, while standing next to her luggage cart. I don't know how she negotiated the stairs with the cart. (The front desk did not offer any explanation on how to negotiate the stairs.) While a full breakfast is included, I could only endure one morning. The first morning at 5:15 a.m., I had to wait several minutes for my eggs. No big deal except that I saw them sitting on a plate getting cold. I finally had to ask the female server to hand me the plate, which she had obviously forgotten. She said "oh" when I asked for the plate: no apology, no "would you like the eggs to be redone", nope, just "oh". The sausage was also only so so. The room where the breakfast was served was dark and lacked adequatre lighting. "Natural light" does not work at 5 a.m. Passed on the breakfast on day two and three. There are too many good places to eat in Albequerque wihout enduring mediocre food. Speaking of mediocre, the coffee in the room did not rise to that level. I am used to mediocre in room coffee. What was provided was not fit to consume. the in room coffee was NOT touched on day two and three. The first day the coffee in the lobby was almost as poor; however, it improved over time and grew significantly better on days two and three. (Maybe they were just overwhelmed on day one of the Balloon Fiesta?) The towels in the room reminded me of Motel 6 towels. I think that's a fair assessment. Clean,white, new (which isn't always the case with Motel 6), not ratty but mediocre. The "full" kitchen in the room was nice but my unit did not have a single utensil, making the kitchen useless. There was nothing in the drawers. (If one is supposed to asked for utensils, a sign would have been nice.) Speaking of signs, the television sets lacked channel guide information. I called and one was eventually delivered. I would have thought more information about the Balloon Fiesta should have been provided. This property was one of the "host" properties for the event and was on the official event site as a host hotel. This was disappointing. I asked for an early room cleaning the first day. The maid had not arrived by 3 p.m. and I had to search her out. The last day, the made had not come by 3 p.m. and I simply put out the "do not disturb" sign. I will not talk about the unique surprise (unusable) plumbing ficture in the bathroom. (This could be a "plus" for some people. It's nothing terrible but it's a bit of a surprise, so I won't spoil the surprise.) The front desk staff seemed to be away from the desk more than necessary, requiring guests to wait. At check out, when the clerk asked how was my stay, I said "fair". He then asked if I wanted breakfast coupons, I explained the poor breakast was one of the reasons the stay was only "fair" and I did not care to eat the breakfast again. He did not offer any apologies for the bad breakfast experience or suggest any way to moderate my view. I believe these are sufficient reasons to not rate this property "very good". These are all matters that the hotel could correct with some effort.

Yes, I spent some time thinking about this review. Would I stay here again? Maybe...if the rate was right. I would definitely return to Albequerque! However, I would be more inclinded to try another higher rated property first.

Room Tip: Although there is an elevator, you must negotiate stairs to even get to "first floor" room...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We have stayed at many of the hotels in Albuquerque, and found that Barcelona Suites was the best stay at a reasonable price. We were very impressed with the cleaniness of the rooms and the beauty of the hotel in general. The beds were very comfortable, which is a plus for me as my fibermyalgia keeps me from enjoying most hotel stays.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple