“Hit or miss, but lately miss.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mario's Pizzeria & Ristorante
Ranked #564 of 1,776 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Italian
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Hit or miss, but lately miss.”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Let me first say that I've been a patron of Mario's for the last few years, mostly at the Juan Tabo and San Pedro locations. I have been to the location on 4th St. a hand full of times, and on each visit I leave more and more dissatisfied. During MY LAST THREE visits, the following occurred (not all on the same visit mind you):

- Lackadaisical service
- Inattentive servers
- Hostes getting drink order because she didn't know where my server was
- Server taking forever to bring refills
- Once had to get up and tell the hostess I was ready to order, after server pulled a "disappearing act"
- Server never returned to drop off check
- Server dropped off check without asking how everything was, or offering desert

I paid "extra" for a flavored Iced Tea (few pumps of syrup used), but the flavor was barely there. I felt a little ripped off. Romano's Macaroni Grill offers similar flavors for their iced teas, without charging extra, and you can actually taste it.

Certain food items are very similar, if not better than what you will find at the other two locations. For example, the cream of mushroom soup was wonderful, as was the Italian Wedding soup. Many items are the same, such as the sandwiches, and salads. During my last visit, I made the mistake of ordering some lasagna and a small order of "mama's bread". The bread wasn't brushed with olive oil. The lasagna had ridiculously "thin" layers consisting of a light spreading of ricotta cheese. And the meat sauce was downright terrible! Too bitter and acidic. No salt or spices present. The lasagna was drenched in the sauce, and the lasagna itself could have been A LOT bigger.

What I could not get over was the terrible service. On one visit, I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting to place my order. There were three other servers just standing around and looking the other way whenever I would try to get their attention. I guess this was because I wasn't sitting at one of "their" tables. And the hostess was horrendously busy doing something on the computer.

As good as SOME of their menu items are, and as convenient as the location is, I will not be returning. The service during the last three visits got progressively worse, and the food during my last visit was awful. This location is frequently empty and now I know why. Bad service, and food that sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. I highly recommend one of the other Mario's locations instead of this one.

• Visited June 2012