“What a find”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Waitstaff
Jackson, Wyoming
“What a find”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Driving down Central Ave I half noticed this little place advertising Mexican seafood. Traffic was heavy so I had to go several blocks to stop by for a second look. I saw it was not a chain, was patronized by numerous locals and decided it was worth a try. Clean inside. Friendly staff. Intimate environment with an distinguished local performer wearing a cowboy hat playing the guitar and singing. The menu was in Spanish but the server was glad to translate. Lively green salsa with the chip primed my appetite. Large glass containers of fresh squeezed lime, pineapple and canteloupe juices sat on the sidelines and proved to be delicious. Hand made tortillas. The menu selection was excellent. Although it takes an hour to prepare the snapper is not to be missed. I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu. I highly recommend a visit.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Mla49808

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Aguachile is my friend...”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

As my other reviews might reflect, my favorite dining companion is my father, he's 70, looks 40 and is probably in better shape than I am (none of which is relevant to a dining review, I'm just in awe of him). We get together at least once a week for dinner or lunch and like to try new places. I tend to go for the exotic, spicier and weirder the better. Dad is open to trying new things, but has a slightly more conservative palate. Most weeks we end up going out a second time just to go to El Zarandeado because it is Dad's favorite restaurant. The salsa is wonderful, redolent with roasted chile, no tomato. The first time we went I ordered the Aguachile and got about 2 bites in before Dad, on the pretense of "just a taste" stole it and ate the whole thing. Since I speak enough languages to know my Spanish is embarrassing, and the waitstaff here tends not to speak much English, I tend to order via the point and smile like a moron method, but the service is always good and remarkably, I always get the right thing. We've worked our way through the entire menu and have settled into our favorites, Dad always orders the Aguachile and the shrimp Culiche. While the specialty here is seafood, I love the tacos dorados (I'm almost sure I got that, and every other spanish word in this review, completely wrong, for which I apologize) little fried tacos stuffed with beans and cheese, I usually get that as an entree with either a raw cocktail (the octopus is the best part) or ceviche tostada for an appetizer.

• Visited March 2014
San Tan Valley, Arizona
“Unique Experience”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is like going to a good seafood restaraunt on the Mexican coast, without danger from drug cartels! The owners are from Sinaloa, staff are mostly family members, and Spanish is the primary language, written & spoken. Our waiter was exceptionally cordial and helpful with translating the menu. Their Molcajete Sinaloense is very special - delicious and worth it just for the experience. It is served in a three-legged stone pestle, heated to the point that the dish stayed bubbly hot for the entire meal. It contains quite a mix of seafood and I think they would change proportions if you asked - ours had several different preparations of shrimp, fish filets, and chunks of octopus in a mildly picante green sauce. One of the shrimps was particularly different and tasty - wrapped in very thin bacon, with a sliver of cheeze and jalapeno. The place in not fancy, but really worth a visit.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Richard D
New Mexico, United States of America
“Different & really good”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

As the other reviewer stated, this is for people that like seafood, especially shrimp. Firstly, they have numerous choices on their menu, so it would take a number of visits to try enough examples to rate this restaurant thoroughly. The seven seas soup 'siete mares') is excellent. The 'Molcajete sinaloense' is unique & delicious. Then their specialty, the gray snapper, a more 'ecologically correct', sustainable fish to order than red snapper, they call 'pescado zarandeado', is very, very flavorful---most folks should love it, while a few may find it too flavorful. The downside is that you have to order it about an hour ahead of time, as it takes so long to prepare. Can't say anything about the other menu choices, but what I had was great! It would probably help if a few of the staff spoke better English, but this place is definitely worth a visit!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank nixster
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Authentic Mexican Seafood”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This new place advertises itself as "Mexican Seafood, Estilo Sinaloa" -- Sinaloan style. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity. The menu is in Spanish and the owners/staff speak English as a second language. On a recent visit for lunch on a weekday, there were only two other customers in the place, which can probably seat about 30-35 at a guess. The decor and the building itself is austere. The menu is seafood with very few exceptions. Lunch came with a starter cup of seafood soup -- clear broth with one shrimp in the cup. It was OK but nothing special. I had the tuna tacos and wasn't very impressed; my wife had the regular fish tacos which were very good. The home-made refried beans that came with our meals were excellent. We did not do this, but I understand if you call ahead they will prepare their specialty item which is "Pescado Zarandeado" -- fish done in the traditional west coast method of Mexican cooking. I would try that before I write this place off, but based on our one visit so far, this place will have to work harder to stay up with the competition in Albuquerque.

• Visited November 2011