“Best Key Lime Pie”

Daily Grind
Ranked #247 of 1,802 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner
Description: The Daily Grind is a locally owned restaurant in Albuquerque, New Mexico serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in a relaxed, bright surrounding atmosphere. We also offer full service catering. Chef Leah Purucker has created a menu of home-style classics with an original upscale twist. Come in and enjoy a meal with one of our homemade fresh bake goods and specialty coffee drinks.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Everything I've eaten here is fresh and tasty. The baked goods are excellent. They also have the best Key Lime Pie in town (and I've tried it lot's of places). They have recently moved and I haven't been to the new location yet, so I can't comment on that.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went to the new location and they need to work on some things! 3 members of our party ordered the Huevos Rancheros with poached eggs. Our server said it would take little longer due to the poached eggs. I have never heard that one before. Our food took a long time to get to the table and when it did the eggs were missing. The server told us that the eggs would be brought out in a minute, they wanted to make sure they were hot. What? Five minutes later we asked for them again and 2 orders eventually made it to the table but they had been poached so long they could have been hard boiled. By the time the 3rd set of eggs showed up we were well into the meal. The Huevos were not good and they were topped with a mountain of cheese that had been sitting so long it was hard and rubbery. The other members of our party ordered "The Mike" which was basically a cheese and green chili omelet. Not bad but nothing to write home about. While the servers hustled to get to several large tables two staff members stood behind the coffee station and chatted away. How about helping out your co-workers? We also thought it was odd that based on the name you expected coffee to hold a starring role but it was ordinary and served in a very small coffee mug. Pretty pottery but still very small. Sorry, but here in New Mexico you have a lot of competition for a great breakfast and what we were served would not get us to return. One more note.....One member of our party has trouble walking and she had to go from the handicapped space around a large water feature to get to the door of the restaurant. This place is not handicapped friendly. Our server was kind enough to take 10% off the check for the problems with the eggs but it would have been nice to have a manager drop by the table. Actually, it did not seem like the place was being managed at all.

2  Thank Lisa A
Nancy R, Owner at Daily Grind, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Lisa,

As to your two reviews you have given us over your breakfast it is clear how unsatisfied you were with your visit, I apologize for that. We do not take reviews like this easily and as I expressed on the other site you visited I would hope you would give us a second chance on us, to fix what was wrong. As a manager I was the one that placed the discount on your ticket because I had taken notice of the issue with the eggs as they are an off menu item that we don't normally make, not that they are difficult if done on a day to day basis. Our staffs main concern is making sure you get what you want, so the waitress didn't blink when the majority of your table ordered poached eggs even though that would require the line boiling a large pot of water and a cook stepping off the line to make them. If they were a normal item on the menu we would have a commercial egg poacher to do large quantities and this issue would be a mute point, but as they are something that are not asked for on a consistent basis we have chose not to. When your order came in, instead of the line saying it was something that they wouldn't do they did it the old fashion way which caused the back up with the whole order, including your food sitting and being served to you at a quality that is not our usual. We have been in business for 20 years and still take each review and try to make the best out of it, good or bad. Our new location is a learning experience for us just like the last two and we are trying to listen to our customers and deliver the best quality and service. We currently are over staffed some days as we don't know what that day may bring but I would rather be over prepared than under, and I agree our staff needs to work more as a team and am working on how to make them do that, but most of these people have only know eachother weeks or days. I had asked our server if their was an issue with your table and if I needed to talk with you but she said that everything was fine and everyone understood the issue with the eggs. I wish that you would of asked to speak to a manager or I had come to your table so we could of cleared this issue up in person, I would of explained that we had actually been trying to go out of our way for you by making an off menu item (as simple as poached eggs are in a normal enviroment) for multiple people at your table and had no intentions of ruining your breakfast and also that we are completely ADA compliant and the reason we are set up the way we are is because of Alcohol and Gaming not by choice but we are already working on remeding it by installing another door near the handicapped parking. We make mistakes and have off days, but unlike most of the restuarants in Albuquerque we are local family owned and have stayed that way with no intentions of ever changing that. We look out for our employees and our customers first and foremost. If you had asked to speak to the manager it would of be me or my mother, owners, not just a paid manager, your concern would of been welcomed and handled, a rarity today.

Jennifer Rogers
General Manager/Owner
The Daily Grind

Reviewed November 10, 2013

This place has good food. The green chile is delicious and the food it prepared fresh.
Great atmosphere as well

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Went to the new location last week. Good food, but very uncomfortable chairs. Also very poor service. Had to get up to get someone to wait on us and to finally get us the bill. No one ever checked to see if we needed anything else or if the food was to our liking or not. And the place was not busy. We might do "carry-out" but it is unlikely that we'll eat there again.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great food, great service, beautiful decor. We had a great time! The staff seemed to bend over backwards for us.