“Where's the pizza?”
Review of Il Vicino Canteen

Il Vicino Canteen
Ranked #253 of 1,791 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: American
Description: Il Vicino Canteen (which brews beer for all four of Il Vicino restaurants in New Mexico) is an awesome oasis of great beer, food & service! OK - so it's located in an industrial area just north of Candelaria Rd NE. But, they have a spacious & hip new tap room. (fyi - the previous location had a tasting room about the size of a postage stamp.)Beers... Awesome! Well-crafted and very quaffable. The Wet Mountain IPA was great as well as the double IPA. And, they've been wining medals since 1995!Food... It's a tapas-style menu with "Noshes, Salads & Swanky Sandwiches" We had the hot pretzels with spicy, wholegrain mustard and a taste of the Mortadella meat. Both were good. Looking forward to trying one of the Panini sandwiches or the Rotating Meat & Cheese Board.Service... Outstanding! David was a super host. Showed us around from the brewery, the tap room, and the outdoor covered patio. He was very knowledgeable about the beers. His bartenders were the same with a friendly attitude and helpful suggestions.If you like beer, you SHOULD visit here! Wished we lived closer.
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Il Vicino is known for their pizza, so when we heard that the Animal Humane kickoff party was going to be at the Canteen, we were excited to eat pizza. We got there... no pizza. We aren't beer drinkers so we looked at the menu to find something other than pizza. Was told there wasn't enough room for pizza at this location. I do have to say the sandwiches we had were tasty but not being beer drinkers and wanting pizza from Il Vicino, we probably won't return.

There are newer reviews for Il Vicino Canteen

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Going West on Commanche past the cemented arroyo and before I-25, turn south down Stanford into one of ABQ's 'industrial/ commercial/warehouse' complexes. Not what I would expect to find if I were to be cruising the actual Boot Country either, let alone the Q for a laid back brewery!!! How far down? You'll instinctivelly know you're there when ya see the cowboy corral featuring cycles hanging from the ceiling above picnic tables with fans (let alone) sky-heaters at the ready, aside open doors for indoor festivities! As we approached, I was thinking my daughter/S-i-L, who were meeting a friend-couple, dragged me there to be a token 'silver fox', but lo and behold there was a mix of a few other old farts, OMG bevis of some of ABQ's most beautiful chickas, 2 or 3 pony tailed Harley Boyz, i.e. the diversity of what makes ABQ soooo Cozmo. To its credit, IV does not draw one of our VIP types, e.g. a PNM Exec. getting D & D wearing a Hawaiian shirt, Bermudas, sandals accessorized with BLACK socks half over alabaster calves!!!

The draw this Memorial Weekend was a local guitar player named Keith Sanchez who plays and sings a panoply of Hispanic/Latino/Chicano/Caribbean music via guitar to those herein assembled, each last Sun. of the month!
- I kinda got a sense of the place being a SouthWestern version of Cheers...pretty soon I was enjoying the unplanned company of my other daughter and S-i-L; an accomplished, banking careered niece; a nephew with his hydrologically degreed espousa who is working frantically to solve the H2Os of the Rio Grande Valle, while kinda still Novios; and even an old ex of a Sis-i-L.
-While I'm nowhere in the League of The Most Interesting Man in the World when it comes brew-expertise, I had a delightful Lager and later switched...given a complimentary tasting being offered...to a wonderous Irish Red as befitting some of me roots....Slainte!!!! All this was carried out with great aplomb by a most understanding waitperson who was a dervish in service delivery while obviously calling upon her training in Classic Dance getting from hither to yon!!!!
-Alas, per prior dining plans, I was refrained from getting into the gastronomical delights or vitals offered. Let me say that the variegated menu appears to offer casual YumYums befitting a place of this genre that would surely suffice if not exceed one's needs while tasting such Brewskis! I did enjoy nibbling away on a Beer Sponge (pretzel with chipolte dip) and scarfed up on someone's Chips n Salsa!
- Bottom line: if Y'all would like to 'slip out' of 'prim/proper' ABQ for a few moments while staying in the middle of ABQ, give Il Vicino Brewery a shot on our increasingly splendiferous summertime eves!!!! Say, isn't there a Bike Trail as part of that cemented arroyo???!!!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

(overdue review) Visiting the area, we stumbled on Il Vicino and am glad we did. There is indoor and outdoor seating, nice menu for snacks, it is clean, fast friendly service and has a laid back feel.
We enjoyed the beer and would consider visiting again if we are ever in Albuquerque.
note: they are dog friendly*

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time. People were very friendly. Staff was helpful and courteous. Great micro brew selection. Not a kid friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I liked the location, the parking was easy and the building large with many tables. The food and beer options are on a huge blackboard wall. The service was good and timely and the atmosphere nice. The beers were decent but nothing amazing. Of the 6 breweries we visited during our trip to Albuquerque this was probably 2nd or 3rd.