“Try the Cucumber Salad Side”
Review of Whole Hog Cafe

Whole Hog Cafe
Ranked #426 of 1,831 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I visited the Whole Hog Cafe for a late mid-week lunch. I noticed they were offering a new cucumber salad side - it was really fresh tasting! We ordered the full slab of ribs dinner - cost was about $25 with no drinks. Unlike other rib joints they offer 6 different sauces to suit your taste. The ribs were great - meaty, absolutely no fat or gristle - we left nothing but the bones.
Note - you place your order at the front counter, pay, then they call your number. Plenty of free parking and indoor seating.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was a regular customer, but they obviously have changed and I won't go back. The portion size on the baked potato was the first problem. It was about a quarter the size that it used to be. Now today, my wife came back with a very easy order from them, three items, and they screwed up two of them. I went back to get my money back and was told "they don't refund orders", even when they get them wrong. I was then told that I "had tampered with the food". The girl had to call a manager, there was none on duty at dinnertime, to find out how to credit back my card.
I introduced many people to the facility and am now ashamed that I did. Management, or lack thereof, is probably to blame, but I will have to tell everyone I associate with to avoid this place.

3  Thank Lostmyshaker
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We really like the pulled pork. The brisket and chicken are also good. I love their six-pack of sauces from sweet to tangy and spicy. You can dine in or take out, and they have a punch card too. They offer beer and wine or the standard soft drinks. The sides are typical for a barbecue place--slaw, potato salad, beans, salad. (I wish they would offer collard greens!) They're a little short on the desserts though. Service is always fast whether you dine in or take out.

1  Thank vickyzzzz
Reviewed December 17, 2012

OK, I know Albuquerque isn't known as a BBQ mecca. But occasionally tou gotta have some que. While in ABQ for a few days in March, we decided on barbeque as a break from the wonderful green chile. Went to whole hog. Clue 1 we missed was no hint of a smokey aroma outside. Clue 2 we missed, hardly anyone in the place. We did notice that the staff wasn't welcoming, jus a "Hi, What you want?" Well we placed our order anyway and got our drinks. When we got our food it was ample in quantity, but barely warm. Meats were not bad, they just weren't barbeque, it was as if the brisket, port and ribs had been baked in an oven, then lightly smeared with a commercial sauce. Sides were unimpressive too. We ate, filled up in fact, but we felt the best part of our dinner was my iced tea and my wife's diet soda.
I know there has got to be better BBQ in ABQ, we'll look for it again next trip.

1  Thank wfgjr
Reviewed November 26, 2012

While out shopping my husband and I stopped by the Whole Hog for a first time visit. There were only a couple of other people there, but countrer staff were friendly and helpful...willing to substitute one item for another or put things on-the-side for us. Each order is given a number and probably called if there is a crowd, but ours was delivered to the table. We had the brisket sandwich and the pulled pork sandwich; one had potato salad, the other coleslaw. The brisket had great flavor, but slightly tough; potato salad delicious. Still my husband loved it and said he would come again. The pulled pork was huge and delicious; for me, the coleslaw was just a tad horseradishie, but okay. Customers help themselves to the drinks and utensils; napkins and 6 variety of sauces are on the tables. We liked the Original Spicey #4 and the Mustard #?...both spicy and not too sweet. But it you like sweet, there are several sweet sauces...with 6 to choose from and huge sandwiches, you can try them all.