“Wasn't this place in a Fabreeze commercial?”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #85 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wasn't this place in a Fabreeze commercial?”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Clerk was accommodating and gave me a larger room for same price. Unfortunately the Wi-Fi in my room did not work at all. I asked for a different room but was refused. It so happened that the internet technician was at the motel repairing the internet. He insisted that my laptop was broken and that his Wi-Fi connection is working fine. I found out later that there is desktop pc in the front desk area that can be used by guests. Wi-Fi was working near the check-in desk but nowhere else. Very funny as the giant billboard out front advertises "FREE HIGH SPEED INTERNET".
What a joke!

Breakfast consisted of bread, danish, fruit and cereals. Danish pastries tasted like curry and onions.

Room Tip: Make sure that your Wi-Fi works in your room before you pay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sean J, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
We are certainly open for constructive feedback and we wish to let you know that all your comments and words of encouragement inspires us to continue our effort for service excellence. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, for this will greatly aid us in improving our hotel services in total. The feedback regarding the problems you encountered with the internet connection is indeed troubling. We would like to sincerely apologize for our shortcomings, and we assure you that this issue will be subject for evaluation so that proper modifications will be implemented. We hope that we may be given a chance to better serve you should you reconsider and stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Korean first
New Mexico
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I love this hotel. Period. The staff is the friendliest I've found in any Albuquerque hotel. The Econolodge is old; there is no getting around that. And the breakfast is not fancy. But, they are constantly upgrading things: from bedding to plumbing fixtures, etc. You can't beat the rate anywhere, and frankly I'll take the attentive staff over hotel breakfasts any day.

ESPECIALLY if you're in ABQ with family/friends in one of the downtown hospitals, this is a great place. It's close, safe, quiet. We've now stayed in about 5 Choice properties in ABQ and one that was not a Choice affiliate.We'll stick with this one - MY Econolodge - from now on.

Room Tip: It's an old hotel, and some of the rooms host pets. If you're allergic, look at the room, fi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sean J, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Kate, thank you for your kind words. We love having you hear!! Hope to see you again in the future.
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My room smelled like some dog pee'd all over the place. We came to Albuquerque for one night and only needed the place to sleep so I guess you get what you paid for applies here. If you're looking for a place with a spa, fitness center, legit breakfast than look elsewhere.

Also it annoys me that none of the cleaning ladies speak English. So it's hard to communicate what I want without using gestures and having me do interpretive dance to get what I want.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a place to crash for one night then this is your room. If you're look...
1 Thank trojanOOF
Sean J, Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at our hotel. I assure you that your concerns will we addressed appropriately and I hope that you can give us another chance in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels

Harker Heights, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The room smelled like a moldy ash tray and cleanliness was negligible. The rollaway bed we requested didn't really fit in the room, and the "breakfast" was skimpy. The only nice thing was the gentleman who checked us in in the middle of the night....he was friendly and clean cut.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Bay Area
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I made a mistake and made a reservation at the Econo Lodge Downtown instead of the Econo Lodge Old Town where I wanted to stay. They're both on Central Avenue and I assumed they were they same hotel. It was a mistake I dearly paid for - in particular as I didn't realize it until I was out on the hot New Mexican summer trying to walk to the old town (fortunately, once I realized my mistake I also found out that there are buses that run up and down Central Ave. for just $1 per adult, kids are free!).

The hotel itself was just as disappointing as its location. The room was clean but extremely cramped. There was barely enough room for the two full-size beds (not queens), so there was no hope to sit at the small table without climbing onto the bid first.

Though the room was supposed to be non-smoking, it smelled like smoke. The beds were extremely hard, and the pillows not much better. On the plus side, the shower had good water pressure and my kids enjoyed the pool, which stayed open until 9 PM.

Breakfast was almost non-existent. Bad coffee, machine OJ, a couple of dried danishes cut in half, some dry cereal and sliced bread. It might not have been that bad if the reviews for the breakfast at the /other/ Econo Lodge had not been so positive.

Oh well, live and learn to check the address better next time.

Room Tip: Make sure this is the actual Econo Lodge you want to stay at Inspect the room first, to make sure i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with my staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been frequent guest at the Econo Lodge since 2010.
The staff are not only knowledgeable about ABQ and NM, but they are gracious and genuinely interested in providing guests a comfortable and safe stay. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank TeacupCoyote
Sean J, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your business. We look forward to seeing you again!!!!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is it is typically much better than everything around it. It is above the very cheap hotels surrounding it and is priced so that most of the criminal element won't pay for it. Otherwise, the service is between good and horrible at the front desk, depending on who you get. The rooms are below average and run down. They also do ask you to pay upfront, which is weird and what you get for cheaper hotels. Would not recommend this for tourists; not in a great part of town.

Room Tip: Check the room before you pay is all I can say.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kelly J, Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.