“Good but not the original”

El Bruno's Restaurante y Cantina
Ranked #349 of 1,802 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The food here is always good, their carne adovada is simply some of the best I have ever eaten. The margaritas are delicious and reasonably priced. Everything I have eaten here is tasty and delicious. While the new space is large and able to accomodate lots of patrons, it just doesn't have the feel of the original in Cuba. Granted it burned down, moved to a very small spot and moved again but the always retained that genuine feel. Guess that's hard to do in a big spot in a much bigger city. Sigh...............

Regardless, the food is pretty much the same and you will not leave hungry.

My only complaint this visit was the fair service and awful greeting when we arrived. The "Hostess" asked "How many", grabbed menus and walked off. Not hello, follow me or thanks for coming, nothing. We stood there for a bit and walked in the direction she had gone. Went to a back dining room, saw her there, she turned around and walked the other direction. We stood there for a few minutes and then a waiter came over and told us she had gone around the corner to find other seating. Not one word from her ever. OK. We came for the food but service does play into the equation at some point. This hostess was simply one of the worst I have ever seen. She wouldn't see Day #2 in my restaurant!

So that issue aside, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to try some great New Mexican food in a very pleasant setting. I'll go back again!!

1  Thank kkhinnm

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had dinner here with about 10 co-workers on a Wednesday evening. The staff was very accommodating and service was pretty good. We ordered Chile con Queso and a variety platter of appetizers. For dinner I had the carne enchiladas with beans and rice ($12.00), with red chile. The food was good, but my plate was only lukewarm when it was delivered to me. The sopapillas were also not hot and did not seem to be freshly made. The atmosphere and decor of the restaurant is very traditional New Mexican. They have a nice bar and serve good margaritas. I believe they have a nice patio also, although we did not sit outside. In general, there really aren't a lot of restaurants anymore that serve what I would consider to be "good" and "authentic" New Mexican food. It all tastes very mass-produced and one place tastes pretty much like another. Unfortunately, El Bruno is no different. I would go there again, but mostly because of the atmosphere and location and service.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

This restaurant was open not long ago and their speciality is Mexican food.
I had chicken tacos and the food was not as good as I expected. It needed more seasoning. I had to use the salsa from the chips to get a better flavor. The service was good and the restaurant is pretty . It is not expensive but they need to improve the food.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

I was looking forward to a meal at El Bruno's on my trip to Albuquerque. I had eaten many, many times at the restaurant in Cuba. I loved the food, especially their salsa, an their cozy patio.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the same great salsa and cozy atmosphere, although it wasn't patio weather, the inside was very comfortable and cozy.

I had my usual chicken enchiladas with blue corn tortillas. The green chile was very tasty as was the refritos. It came with a sopapilla which I had as dessert!

One of their house specialties is a coconut margarita that has toasted coconut on the rim. They are fabulous but will ruin your appetite because they are filling! Of course, they wold make a good dessert too!

El Bruno's is wonderful! Go there!

1  Thank Debbie H
Reviewed November 2, 2011

El Bruno's recently opened its second restaurant in the north valley of Albuquerque on 4th near Paseo at the original, but now defunct, Garduno's. It's great to see the restaurant site in use again. The original El Bruno's in Cuba (New Mexico--between ABQ and Durango), has been long a favorite spot. It burned down a few years back and then re-opened across the street and as of last summer was completely re-vamped, with a very pleasant patio. Always a stop on the way.

There's no question the food is very good. Their chile is excellent and I loved their take on whole pinto beans. Here's some observations from our one visit in ABQ: chips & salsa good; chicken was plentiful with mix of white & dark; sopapillas seemed a little stale. We were seated in sunny side room, off the bar area, which I like better than other eating areas, but awfully close to a group of rambunctious bar patrons during late weekend lunch. The Margarita was yummy (not particularly strong); good beer selections. Service was very good, and staff was very pleasant.

I've noticed some comments elsewhere about their prices, and the same thought occurred to me when I last ate at their Cuba restaurant. The prices just seemed a tad high for New Mexican food. I know everything's going up, but it still threw me off. Even children's meals seemed higher. (That said, the kids loved their bean & cheese burritos.) Bill for 2 adults, 2 children, plus one Margarita, one beer, basic New Mexican orders, no extras, and tip was about $56.

I hear from my source they have a good happy hour and regular mariachis. The front patio is probably nice in a warmer season.