“Very decent for the money”

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport
Ranked #100 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
karn@linkline.com
“Very decent for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

Room was a typical room for a chain hotel. Clean, bed ok, wifi
(slow) free breakfast & airport shuttle. I am a light sleeper but I never heard air traffic or road noise, & slept well. What made this place stand out was the the young man at the front desk who went overboard to help me! For the price, this was a pleasant one night stay, and if I needed to be near the airport, I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

We stayed here as a overnight stop on our drive across the southwest. It was a clean, reasonable stop for that. The location is ok and in an older residential area. There are places to eat if you are willing to make a 10 minute drive (BK and Subway are right by the hotel, but regular sit down food is farther away). Rooms were clean and comfortable. I'd stay here again for a quick drive through, but would probably stay elsewhere if I was staying a week and sightseeing.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

this was an ok stay, staff were very nice indeed . there were a few mistakes made during check in process but helpfulness of staff made it right again. location is ok despite some other reviews, just a residential area with kids playing soccer, Not really near any restaurants, except Burger King next door. rooms were average showing a bit of wear.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

Nice and clean rooms. Resonably priced and nice breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

I was hesitant to book here based on the reviews. I decided to take a chance since I've stayed at Country Inn Suites before and found the hotel to always be clean.
I arrived before 3pm and could not check in because the rooms were not ready yet. I didn't mind; I was there for the balloon fiesta and figured the hotel would be sold out.
Everything about the hotel was clean and no odors, The first room I was given had one bed and I reserved two. The desk clerk changed it without a problem. The only thing there was no microwave or refrigerator in the room, which is what I also preferred but I could do without.
The breakfast was typical highly processed carbohydrates found in hotel chains that most people love; white bread, white plain bagel, cold cereal, whole milk, make your own waffle nothing healthy. I don't eat any of that so I just had juice.
I don't know what the negative reviews were all about. The location was close to the airport and had a shuttle. I was just there for the balloon fest, I wasn't moving in so the fact that the location was in a low end residential neighborhood didn't bother me as long as it was safe. It was.
One of the main reasons I choose this hotel was because they had a shuttle to the balloon fest. But the scheduled was limited and I decided to rent a car rather than be at the mercy of the schedule. This was a good decision since there is NOTHING around the hotel in the way of restaurants. There is a Subway and Burger King but they don't count.
If I were coming again for the balloon fest, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
RoadTraveler_9, Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Thank you! We enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to seeing you soon, while on your travels!
-The Hotel Staff
Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

The accommodations were good and included: high speed internet, room service, and pay-per-view movies. The towels were soft and the room itself was larger than average. The view from our hotel window, however, was that of a low-socioeconomic neighborhood which was not ideal. We did not gather this from the original description of the hotel on priceline, but, survived nonetheless and had a nice stay in the city.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

I will never, ever stay at a Country Inn & Suites by Carlson EVER again based on my experience with this particular hotel. We arrived in town on October 2nd for the Balloon Fiesta. I booked the room at Country Inn & Suites - Albuquerque Airport in mid/late August and actually paid for the rooms (non-refundable) at that time. When we arrived, we were informed that our room had been given away, but they had secured another room at another hotel which they were so graciously paying for...Paying for??? They already had my money. The room had been paid for. The charges debited to my credit card. They weren't paying for anything. They weren't offering to give me back my money, they were basically telling me they were moving me and my money to another hotel...This was 9:30ish PM and after having been on the road since 8 AM we weren't interested. Unacceptable. We were not at all interested in playing musical hotels nor driving around a totally unfamiliar city late at night looking for some random hotel we had never heard of and hadn't had a chance to research.

We insisted on speaking to a manager, as our room had been booked AND PAID FOR for almost six weeks. The desk clerk told us the manager was not on the premases and would not respond to phone calls. We refused to leave until speaking to a manager. In the midst of all this, the desk clerk called the hotel that was supposedly holding a room for us and expecting us and - SURPRISE! They had no room for us. They had given the room away. Let me draw a picture here...Country Inn sold our room to someone else then intended for us to basically cruise the city all night looking for somewhere else to stay...Three women, one in her 70s, and Country Inn was about to send us on a wild goose chase in search of a hotel room in an unfamiliar city at now almost 10 PM. Nice customer service. Great quality of care.

After much drama and refusal to leave until and unless a manager condescended to make an appearance, a room in the hotel was found for us. I don't know who didn't get their room that night, but we did get ours. For all I know, someone is still circling around Albuquerque, bouncing from hotel to hotel in search of a place to sleep. Truthfully, if I thought I could have found a another room in another hotel Albuquerque the first weekend of Balloon Fiesta, I would have been more than happy to leave. As has been stated before, the linens don't fit the beds. The beds were not at comfortable. The hotel is in a questionable area. And the breakfast was decidely below average. OH, and for anyone considering this hotel during Balloon Fiesta based on their advertisement of free shuttle to and from the event - forget it. There is very, very limited space on the shuttles and by the time we got there, all slots had been booked for our entire stay. However, we counted this as a bonus for us, as we ran into a gentleman getting on the elevator with us who had just arrived back from the Fiesta via the hotel shuttle. He told us they had waited two hours for a shuttle to pick them up to take then back to the hotel.

This was an unfortunate and unhappy experience for all. I felt very sorry for the poor desk clerk who was left to deal with all of this. A manager should have been present in light of the situation, rather than leaving it to the desk clerk who can't possible be paid nearly enough to put up with this.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank DorkusMagneticus
Hotel Beds are Serta Elite Pillow Top. We do strive for the comfort for our guests above all else. This was the 3rd year that the hotel ran a very successful shuttle to the Balloon Fiesta transporting guests from all over the world with outstanding success. The Award Winning Country Inn is the Only hotel that does run a shuttle each year. We offered many varying shuttle times to and from the Fiesta. We were able to accomodate everyone. Perhaps there was a specific time that you wished to go and those two shuttles were full. The hotel was awaiting your arrivial and had your room ready. There should have been no confusion Thank you for your review. Your comments are appreciated and help us to improve!