“Great service, nice hotel, airport location.”

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport
Ranked #111 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Minnesota
“Great service, nice hotel, airport location.”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I was put up here after another hotel in town had overbooked and did not honor my reservation. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was well-furnished and clean. The staff were exceptionally friendly and accommodating. I was attending a conference at the Albuquerque convention center, which had shuttle service to the hotel I had booked, but not to this hotel. When the staff learned that I needed transportation to the convention center, they cheerfully offered me a ride in their shuttle (which they also use for free transportation to and from the airport). I would stay here again. I should note that its location is typical of that of an airport hotel: near the airport and off the interstate. You will need to drive or take a taxi to the tourist portions of town.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Accomodations were usual nice and comfortable. The next morning breakfast was a disaster, it opened 30 minutes late, the attendants were inept at placing out the food, and they put out the absolute worst artificial eggs I have ever tried in my life.

• Liked — Room towels were great
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Arriving at 2 a.m. we appreciated the easy checkin and speedy free internet connect in our room. The room was basic, clean (with one little disturbing quirk....a paper cleaning towel that the facility provided was spotted with someone else's soil) and comfortable. Towels were thick and sufficiently abundant. Our forgotten toothpaste was happily replaced by the hotel on request. Everything worked just fine. Nothing was luxurious or sumptuous and the bathroom was strictly functional but for a one night airport stay the place fit the bill. I also would like to note the decent buffet continental breakfast and the very accomodating staff.

• Liked — convenient to the airport
  • Disliked — hotel provided disposable towel for shoe cleaning etc and it was soiled
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rojersey
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed March 15, 2007

Hard to find property and hard to enter/exit. In a bad neighborhood. Lots of tour groups and thin floors. Breakfast staff worked well while they were cooking their own breakfast, otherwise they hid in the closet talking.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Noise from above and below
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
Sugar Land, TX
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,213 helpful votes
Reviewed February 3, 2007

I stayed the 4 nights of 24-27 January 2007 and was THRILLED.

ACCESSIBILITY: This 3-story hotel with all-interior corridors is one exit from the airport, and not far (3 miles or so) from downtown. From the airport, take I-25 north, take Exit 222 (Gibson), turn right from the deceleration lane onto Gibson, and take the first right turn. Easy to find, easy to get to and from.

If you have been north of the hotel and are taking I-25 South to return to it, take Exit 222-A (Gibson/AFB).

LOCATION & SETTING: The hotel faces a quiet residential area and is separated from it by a huge iron see-through fence. Big signs about "video surveillance" and "no trespassing" are posted. Such security appears quite unnecessary -- I drove in and out at all hours, and everything was exceptionally quiet and serene. There is one drive-in entrance. Single female travelers can feel quite safe here.

A Burger King is within walking distance, and a Subway is at the end of the block by Gibson Street.

EXTERIOR: There's ample parking in front and to either side. The parking lot is SPOTLESS, with waste cans and ashtrays by all entrances. I observed an employee scrutinizing the landscaping and sweeping up microscopic things invisible to me.

LOBBY: Spacious, bright, spotless, with free USA Today, all kinds of travel brochures, a local-newspaper machine out front. Straight ahead is a sitting/waiting area with comfortable seating, and a public computer (a must!).

Off the lobby are the exercise room, cola & snack vending, and a public (guest) restroom. The elevator is quick and quiet. In back of the lobby is an outdoor pool, which was closed (January). (Note to hotel guests everywhere: If you're planning to stay at a hotel in order to use its pool, CALL AHEAD to check the service schedule; please avoid trashing a hotel in a single-issue review simply because you arrived, found the pool was closed, and wish to whine about it.)

CHECK-IN: Outstanding service. The desk staff (all of them!) are keenly aware of which rooms are ready, what the customer has reserved on-line, and how to please the customer very thoroughly and promptly. When I arrived, the phone was going bananas, but the clerkette juggled it with answering my several questions about the area.

ROOM: Spacious, spotless, decorated in subdued Southwestern fashion. The carpet in my room was not new at all, but it was very clean indeed. Fixtures included a large TV, dresser drawers, a table with rolling chair, a stuffed recliner, a rod for hanging clothes, and wall/floor lamps. The air-conditioning unit functioned perfectly and did NOT cause the window curtains to billow.

The bed linens (including bedspread) were clean, and the mattress was arguably the most comfortable that this bad-back guest has ever slept on.

Unlike other Country Inns, there was no microwave oven or fridge in my room. I returned to the front desk to ask how much extra the cost to upgrade to a room with them, and I was told, "Oh! If we have any spares, we'll bring them right up." A fridge (the bigger necessity to me) arrived within minutes. The desk clerkette (different from the one who checked me in) apologized that they had no spare microwave, but accurately noted the presence of the microwave in the breakfast area.

There were PLENTY of electrical outlets in my room (how often do we find THAT?), and NONE of the room doors squeaked anywhere in the hotel (how often do we encounter THAT?).

There was absolutely zero noise from the hallways, the adjacent Interstate, the residential street, or from aircraft.

BATHROOM: The layout is different from that found in other Country Inns, because this hotel began life as part of another hotel chain (I asked). Although the sink counter is not full-length as at other Country Inns, there's still adequate space to spread out toiletries.

The toilet and bathtub are in a separate, enclosable room. The bathroom door opens inward, which appears strange, yet an intelligent guest can figure out how to enter and exit. The bathtub is definitely smaller than other Country Inns', and the drain is in the middle on the "wall" side. This is unique, yet it makes sense -- who wants to reach forward or back to drain a tub when you can have the stopper right by either hand?

My one complaint is the strange metal showerhead, which was as large as a sunflower. The water pressure in the shower was decidedly below average, and I believe that this can be fixed by installing a high-pressure head. (The water pressure in the sink and toilet was fine.)

The bath linens were new and fluffy, making showering and grooming a pleasure.

BREAKFAST: Free, in the separate and spacious room across from the hotel's front desk. I'm not a breakfast person, but I ate theirs every day. There are 2 hot-wafflemakers, cups of waffle batter, hot coffee & decaf, fruits, cereals in single-serving boxes, muffins/rolls/bagels, all condiments, and likely items that I'm forgetting.

A staff person is dedicated FULL-TIME to the breakfast room for the duration. One morning, 10 minutes before breakfast hours were to end, I pointed out that the coffee and cold milk were low; both were immediately refilled. When nothing needed replenishing, the staffer busied herself carefully wiping all tables, surfaces, and the FRONTS of cabinets that could not possibly have gotten dirty. I have never seen a cleaner breakfast operation (except at other Country Inns).

The breakfast room has plenty of tables and a TV to watch.

SERVICE DURING STAY: I have never seen as MANY employees -- all happy and capable -- on staff at one time. Without exception, ALL were congenial, knowledgeable, and helpful to the point of not just satisfying, but thrilling, the customer. The attitudes are genuine (no "fake friendliness"). I believe that the number of staff and their good training has made all the difference in how well the entire operation functions.

CHECK-OUT: As fast as lightning, even by Country Inn standards.

SUMMARY: I was sorry to have to leave, and I'm even sorrier that I have no reason to return to Albuquerque anytime soon. If I visit the city again, this Country Inn will be my first and ONLY choice of lodging.

• Liked — This place has ALL of its ducks in a row, and service to rival a 5-star hotel.
  • Disliked — I disliked nothing!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
40 Thank TBoneTX
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed December 23, 2006

I required overnight accomodations for an early morning flight. This hotel is located one exit away from the airport & rental car area BUT, difficult to find because there is no street sign. The best way to find it is realize there is a Burger King at the intersection off the highway.

My check-in was uneventful and room was clean with everything operational. Internet access was free and easy to connect. Room was spacious.

The location is ideal for airport/travelers but not recommended if visiting downtown Albuquerque or long duration stay as you must drive some distance to find a restaurant (besides Burger King) and no on-site dining facilities.

I had no major complaints and this location exceeded my expectations for the price. It was quiet and parking was ample. I didn't hear airplane noise nor the adjacent highway during my sleep.
Mattress was acceptable and check-out was uneventful.

• Liked — Location near airport
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
25 Thank RooseveltL
Denver
Reviewed October 6, 2006

If everything worked just fine, this hotel would be ok. But, there are issues. The hotel is adjacent to a residential area and my wife and I thought it was a little difficult to find, but that is not a big problem. Plumbing is a problem. We had to call twice to get the toilet fixed. First, it would not flush, then a maintenance person came up and fixed it, or so he thought. The next morning, it would not flush again. Also, the shower had what seemed to be a very old shower head which seemed to spray rays of water in all directions but where you wanted it. You had to shimmy around, changing positions constantly, to get fully rinsed off. It was one of the worst shower heads I have encountered. It certainly took longer to get a good shower. My wife and I thought the hotel looked "tired" We also had a problem with the door lock---the door would remain open because the lock would not close. My wife called the desk and the attendant said to jiggle the lock, and after much jiggling the door finally closed and the locked appeared to be working.

Stayed September 2006