WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Express - Balloon Fiesta Park

Holiday Inn Express - Balloon Fiesta Park
Ranked #81 of 146 Hotels in Albuquerque
Midland, Texas
“Great location for my needs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was visiting friends in downtown Albuquerque, Rio Rancho and I had a court hearing in Santa Fe. This was the perfect location if you plan to hit all three areas since it is right off of the interstate. There was no noise from the interstate, but construction next door during the day was annoying.

My only complaint was that the tiny pillows are worthless to sleep on. Why do hotel properties use these?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were taking a balloon ride very early the next morning, so we chose this hotel for its location. We actually could walk to the offices of Rainbow Ryders (the balloon company) very easily from here. The first room we were given was right next to the elevator. After 2 seconds, we decided we needed a different room. The elevator actually shook the bed in the room and you could feel the vibration throughout the hallway. The second room we were given was as far away from the elevator as you could get. However, the bed itself was extremely old. An update of the mattress is way overdue. We were planning on staying 2 nights in this hotel, but only stayed for 1 due to not getting any sleep. You get what you pay for though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We got off to a bad start on arrival Oct 7. I had booked our room for 5 nights a couple months in advance, but silly me, I didn't read the fine print so was surprised when they charged my credit card for the full 5 nights on Sept. 5. And was even more surprised when we checked in and said we wanted to stay only 3 nights, and they said too bad, no refunds. I've never experienced such a policy before. And just now, when I was going over my credit card bill, I found a charge of $15.17 the day after we left. I tracked down their phone number and spoke to someone who said she'd reverse the charge. In between, though, we really enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was generous with an awesome pancake-making machine, and it was fun to see the balloons from the breakfast room on the mornings we didn't go out early. Our room was fine. Except for the front desk clerk on duty when we arrived, everyone was nice and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Judy90403
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel was pretty nice and comfy. We stayed for 5 days during the International Hot Air Balloon Festival. The hotel is close to the Sandia Peak/Tram and Sandia casino. It was also very easy to get around from the hotel. The cleaning staff was friendly and we had no problems with our room. The hotel in general was clean and cozy. The front desk staff was friendly as well and they had daily drawings to win Balloon stuff. The price was decent, but was probably higher because of the festival. Wouldn't normally pay over $200 for an Express. All in all it was a great and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Save your money on the suite unless you have a family staying with you. The suites make the bathroo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I booked this hotel 12 months in advance for the duration of the balloon fiesta. At the time it was rating well on tripadvisor which when combined with the location and the very helpful manager made it seem like a good choice. Imagine my distress when a week before my stay there were three poor reviews of the hotel suggesting that the quality had slipped. As I was locked in I had no choice but to go ahead.
I was pleasantly surprised to find none of the negative aspects mentioned in those reviews. The reception staff were attentive and friendly. The room was clean, very comfortable, well appointed and better than many of this standard I have stayed in ( I should say that if you want a giant bathroom then pay the extra to stay in a top end hotel). Initially it appeared my fridge wasn't working as reported by other reviewers but once I plugged it in it functioned perfectly for the duration of my stay. The housekeeping (and hotel cleaning in general) was excellent. Breakfast was varied, plentiful, kept topped up and (where appropriate) hot. The breakfast staff kept the tables clean and removed the rubbish regularly. They were also extremely pleasant while performing what must be a difficult job dealing with demanding guests. The hot tub was hot and the pool was heated but not overly so. Both were clean. There were towels specifically for the pool area to avoid having to use your bath towels.
The only downside was the ethernet connection for the internet didn't work but the wireless worked fine so was no big deal.
We requested, and were allocated, a top floor room overlooking the Fiesta Park so we could wake up in the morning and watch the launch or the evening fireworks from our room. When we chose to go to the field it was literally a 22 minute walk to the gate.
In summary, if you are attending the Balloon Fiesta this hotel can't be beaten (get a room on 3rd floor with an even number!). If you are just passing through Albuquerque looking for a hotel it will give you a great stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blueswarrior
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Was extremely surprised on how clean the place was and anytime I walked around there was someone cleaning or asking if I needed help with anything. Rooms had a little refrigerator and microwave and even though the rooms weren't the biggest around they had everything you need and comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was really good and had lots of options. I was just really impressed and would recommend to anyone...the only reason I gave a 4 on location was cause it's a distance from old town, zoo, etc.

• Stayed September 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel multiple times. Last time there were problems with breakfast area and climate control. I thought is might just be an anomaly due to past pleasant stays.
We stayed on August 26-28 of this year. The first night, there was no Do Not Disturb sign for our door. My husband called down and spoke to the manager who told him he would bring up a sign and put in in our slot. We woke up the next morning and there was no sign.
The next evening, my husband picked up a Do Not Disturb sign from the front desk and put it in our door. We were awakened the next morning about 8:00 AM by loud laughter in the corridor. I opened the door and there were two housekeepers-a male and female laughing loudly right outside our room which had the Do Not Disturb sign visably in place. There were no other room doors open. I asked them if they did not see the sign and they laughed at me. I did notify the front desk when we checked out and all they said was, "Oh, really."
There were also problems with the breakfast area. Food was lukewarm, what there was of it. Employees standing around eating and laughing. Customers were being totally ignored.
Don't think we will stay here again, despite the convenient location to things we enjoy doing. It isn't worth the aggravation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Balloon Fiesta Park, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear LyleandTerry,
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Albuquerque hotels