“Do you remember college dorm life?”
Review of MCM Elegante Hotel

MCM Elegante Hotel
Ranked #81 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
San Diego
“Do you remember college dorm life?”
Reviewed December 3, 2008

The location is not great, nor even good. I do not know Albuquerque very well but the location screams urban sprawl and urban decay. There are boarded up business up and down the street where this hotel is located.

The rooms are passable, but forget watching TV with the heater on, as the blower is like a jet engine. The hallways remind me living in college dorms, with cinder block walls. I assume if I peel the wall paper in side the room, I'll find the cinder block decor as well.

The bathroom on the surface looked clean, but after a few days you start to notice the black stains on the tile and the tub caulking.

The room has nice beds though.

The complimentary shuttle is non existent. It is constantly on airport runs so they make you sit in the lobby and wait for it. Even if you are first in line to take the shuttle into Old Town, you will be bumped if someone needs to go to the airport. Why they don't have a regular schedule to Old Town is beyond me or at least a sign up list. The front desk was apologetic, but they still refused to pay my taxi fare to Old Town, even though I had been waiting for two hours for the shuttle.

I was at his hotel for a conference, or else I would have never stayed at the MCM Elegante for personal reasons.

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — Shuttle service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank aquaf1na

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Cincinnati
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We were here on business, and this was the hotel that was provided for us. After reading some of the previous reviews, we were a little apprehensive, but as it turned out, we needn't have been. Yes, the room itself was a little "worn" looking, but there was a refrigerator, which I liked. The bed was comfortable (I loved the sheets). There was a leather chair and ottoman to sit in, too, and a desk chair.

The full breakfast every day was very good - lots to choose from! We also were given drink tickets, good for two free drinks each night of our stay (but we rarely drink, so we didn't use them this time).

I used the exercise room every day. There were no free weights, which I prefer to use (few hotels have them available), but there was a universal machine and several pieces of equipment for cardio, and two TVs to watch while using the room. I didn't have time to use the pool or hot tub, but they looked nice.

There is a very nicely stocked gift shop, and the personnel in it were very friendly and talkative.

The staff that I met or talked to were very pleasant.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Free breakfast
  • Disliked — noisy elevator operation
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed October 23, 2008

They just need to tear this place down and start over. It's been over two months since I've stayed at this hotel- but my experience was so sub-par that I have to write about it. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone I know.

The Room: The room smelled as if someone had smoked in it (even though it was a non-smoking room), the carpet was in disrepair, and there was dust all over everything. I needed to plug in my laptop and I found two outlets that had grimy cords that felt like they’d been doused with soda and then left sticky and dusty. Gross! The bed was the saving grace of the hotel. My husband and I enjoy a nice, firm bed and the bed was perfect- very firm. Couldn’t feel the bed coils at all, that’s all I really care about.

The Staff: The front desk staff was friendly. The restaurant staff was terrible. I’ve been a hostess and a waitress and I know both jobs are not the easiest, so I know truly bad service when I see it. The hostess was standing next to the kitchen chatting with her boyfriend so long that I actually had to go over and get her attention. The waitress was pretty much non existent- I flagged her down to take away my plate of spaghetti and I was surprised when she didn’t ask if I wanted something else because it was quite obvious I’d only had a couple of bites.

The Ambiance: You can tell MCM took over the hotel from some other company that didn’t want to take care of it anymore. The vibe is just weird, almost like thousands of people’s dreams died there- it’s just a sad, rundown feeling. This was the weirdest aspect of the hotel. The heavy, sad feeling made me just want to leave.

The Facilities: It felt like the hotel was styled in the 90s and has never been cleaned or updated. I know that the 90s wasn't that long ago, but when all of the fixtures, paintings, fake flowers, etc have a THICK coat of dust and cobwebs on them you know that's not the only part of the hotel that's been neglected. It would only take a few thousand to invest in a new coat of paint and some tasteful real flowers- the facilities could be AMAZING if only they would put some money into them. Why anyone chooses to hold big events here (as happens almost every weekend) is not apparent to me. This must be the cheapest place to hold an event in the city or no one would ever come here.

The Perks: 2 free drink tickets to use at their charming (read: small) bar, drinks were not watered down, bar atmosphere was enjoyable. Free dinner the first night: yuk! I'm used to "no-so-great" free food at other hotels- but the food quality is SOOOOO poor here. I had angel hair pasta with a red sauce- I thought it would be impossible for them to get that wrong- but boy was I proven incorrect. The taste, the texture, the temperature, they were all off. I had about two bites and couldn't eat anymore. I did enjoy the free French Onion soup and rolls, though, so that was pretty much dinner.

Overall: Please, just stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — The overall lack of care and attention to detail
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Clovis, NM
Reviewed October 3, 2008

I have a two year old and this hotel has a wonderful Pool and hot tub. The food was soo good. And the beds were so comfortable. I will be staying here after my surgery. I would recommend this to anyone that likes to stay in class.

• Liked — Comfort of the bed.
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
texas
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Good value. It's an older facility, but well-maintained and clean. Bedding is fresh and new. Extras included free cocktails and an above-average hot breakfast. All staff was very friendly.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank krtex
Colorado Springs
Reviewed August 16, 2008

This hotel has a horrible vibe, it's dirty, and cheap. The bed looks nice but is terribly hard. The bathroom had hair in it left over from the last person who stayed there. The photos on their website are taken from the best angle possible. The locks on the outside doors are broken, so anyone can come into the hotel. Another person who had stayed there had a broken door knob. The carpet is disgusting. The room smelled like smoke and it's supposed to be a non-smoking hotel. The bed set is the only thing that matches in the room, and everything else looks like it came from a garage sale. The wall paper runner was applied incorrectly, and has places where it doesn't match up at all. The bathtub had dirt and stains. The good things about this place were the pool, the fitness area. Oh and when checking out my friend and I were supposed to have the same rate, she ended up paying $20 more in fees.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank numm3r
el paso, tx
Reviewed July 26, 2008

The place is a dump. We have stayed twice and had problems both times. We checked in only to find our room had not been cleaned from previous guest. We were told it would be ready by 5. We left to sight see, came back room was still not ready. We ended up moving rooms at 8 PM. Second visit the shower did not work. We were told maintenance was not on duty so we moved again. Rooms are not clean and smell funny. Management has no control over housekeeping or maintenance staffs. One employee flat out said, they just don't clean! Only bright spot was breakfast.

• Liked — delicious breakfast but crowded
  • Disliked — the rooms are dirty
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family