“Fish tacos”

Ranked #27 of 1,828 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Welcome to Nexus, the beer place that brings people together. It's not just a place; it's an experience. Nexus Brewery is dedicated on being the Albuquerque brewery that people can count on when it comes to providing amazing tasting beer and excellent food. We love good beer, and that makes our job just that much more fun. We sell delicious New Mexican soul food with a mix of southern comfort food. Come on down to Nexus Brewery and enjoy the beer we brew. We'd love to meet you and pour you a cold one.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My friend wanted fish tacos and I said, "I know a great place". Yes, Nexus Brewery is a bit hard to find and it can be crowded. I was surprised it was packed on a Wednesday night, but that's a good thing for the owner. We ended up sitting at the bar and the bartender was fun and friendly. We got our beers and food in short order. This time, the fish tacos seemed to be overly seasoned and quite sparse on the cabbage. Surely, cabbage is not a big expense to be so skimpy. I dumped the pico de gallo on my tacos without tasting it first. It was hotter than hot! Much hotter than the last time had the fish tacos. We ordered a side of sour cream to tone everything down a bit. We also liked the option of ordering just two tacos so we had room for the delicious beer!

kcarson330, Owner at Nexus Brewery, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Hello Winger07,
Thank you for coming in and thank you for your positive comments and rating. We will pay closer attention to the pico and the hotness of the jalapenos. I appreicate your willingness to give us feedback.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Just off the northbound frontage road at Montano is a little hideaway that serves authentic southern food. What Nexus lacks in ambiance it more than makes up for in fresh cooking. It is a brewery with inside and outside parking. Our group ordered the fried chicken and waffles (with diced bacon) and all of us cleaned our plates. One half of my waffle was eaten with syrup and one half with cream gravy and the jury is still out on which was tastier. Four pieces of chicken and a big homemade waffle were @$14 and could satisfy 2 adults. The pulled pork sliders were moist and tasty. For appetizers, we had fried dill pickles (excellent) and fried zucchini. Since it was a birthday celebration we had to go on Friday at 6 pm which is never a good idea. We had to wait over an hour for a table but drinking beers on the patio made the time pass. The servers were cordial and efficient. Next time I'm trying the gumbo. It looked delicious, too.

kcarson330, Owner at Nexus Brewery, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Hi Travel Gal,
Thank you so much for the kind words. Glad you noticed the freshness of our food, we wouldn't have it any other way. And the I am also happy to hear that the servers took good care of you. Sorry about the wait. Its a blessing and curse at the same time. We hate to have anyone wait. But good beer takes away some of the pain. Thank you for your comments and support of our business.
Cheers

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have eaten at Nexus many times in the past and every time I leave a very happy customer. They have great beer, food, and incredible staff! One of the best places in town to visit, very affordable and definitely worth every penny! Wish I could give more than 5 stars!

kcarson330, Owner at Nexus Brewery, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Hi Camila,
Thank you for the great review and I am very pleased you are a regular and are a very happy customer. It nice to here your experiences have been consistently good from the food to the staff. We try very hard to make this happen. Thank you again.
Cheers,

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I've been to Nexus about four times now and I always seem to leave full and happy. The staff is always on top of things, kind and attentive, even when they're packed. I left my purse once on a busy night and a server noticed before I did! He brought it to me in the parking lot instead of waiting for me to return! The menu is sort of diverse, local New Mexican dishes and Southern comfort food. I like the Southern options better, mostly because I'm from NM (although family is from Texas and South Carolina) and it's more of a treat. The food is extra fresh so I'd suggest giving your chicken a minute or two before digging in. Everything I've had has been delicious but they have the best collard greens and mac and cheese in the state, hands down. If they served shrimp and grits, I'd probably be in every month. The beer is good, reasonably priced, and the selection does not disappoint. The atmosphere is hip but not pretentious. Very laid back. I'm not sure if they ever have live music but I'd love it if they did. They do have patio seating, although I'm not sure how pet friendly it is. Overall, Nexus is highly recommended for an inexpensive evening out. I would like to see them expand their menu a bit, perhaps also add some more desserts to pair with beer?

Hello Kei,
Thank you for such the great review and all the suggestions. The southern options have really worked well for us and I love the idea of shrimp and grits. I like you am from NM and unfortunately I have never had them. I have been thinking of having adding another dish, particularly shrimp because we are only using them on one dish. If I can get our kitchen crew to create a shrimp and grits dish that is awesome, I will add it to the menu. If it is just ok, I will have to move to something else. On to the other issues, we do music on the last Saturday of the month. We really don't have the room or a good location for a band. We are pet friendly for the outside patio. And for deserts you are right on again. We are looking at sweet potato pie and some other options. Thanks again for your support and suggestions.
Cheers

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We enjoyed both the beer and the food. The menu was a little unusual (from the South and New Mexico) but it was very flavorful and moderately priced. There is nothing fancy about the building and it is very well hidden, but they seem to be quite popular.

Hello Eco1995,
I appreciate the 4 star review. The menu is something I came up with based on my Mom's cooking at home and the fact that I am a native. So that is how we ended with with NM soul food. Thank you for you kind comments.
Cheers,