“Friendly, consistent, comfort food”
Review of Nexus Brewery

Nexus Brewery
Ranked #29 of 1,781 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Welcome to Nexus, the beer place that brings people together. It's not just a place; it's an experience. Nexus Brewery is dedicated on being the Albuquerque brewery that people can count on when it comes to providing amazing tasting beer and excellent food. We love good beer, and that makes our job just that much more fun. We sell delicious New Mexican soul food with a mix of southern comfort food. Come on down to Nexus Brewery and enjoy the beer we brew. We'd love to meet you and pour you a cold one.
“Friendly, consistent, comfort food”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I've been to Nexus about four times now and I always seem to leave full and happy. The staff is always on top of things, kind and attentive, even when they're packed. I left my purse once on a busy night and a server noticed before I did! He brought it to me in the parking lot instead of waiting for me to return! The menu is sort of diverse, local New Mexican dishes and Southern comfort food. I like the Southern options better, mostly because I'm from NM (although family is from Texas and South Carolina) and it's more of a treat. The food is extra fresh so I'd suggest giving your chicken a minute or two before digging in. Everything I've had has been delicious but they have the best collard greens and mac and cheese in the state, hands down. If they served shrimp and grits, I'd probably be in every month. The beer is good, reasonably priced, and the selection does not disappoint. The atmosphere is hip but not pretentious. Very laid back. I'm not sure if they ever have live music but I'd love it if they did. They do have patio seating, although I'm not sure how pet friendly it is. Overall, Nexus is highly recommended for an inexpensive evening out. I would like to see them expand their menu a bit, perhaps also add some more desserts to pair with beer?

• Visited January 2013
Hello Kei,
Thank you for such the great review and all the suggestions. The southern options have really worked well for us and I love the idea of shrimp and grits. I like you am from NM and unfortunately I have never had them. I have been thinking of having adding another dish, particularly shrimp because we are only using them on one dish. If I can get our kitchen crew to create a shrimp and grits dish that is awesome, I will add it to the menu. If it is just ok, I will have to move to something else. On to the other issues, we do music on the last Saturday of the month. We really don't have the room or a good location for a band. We are pet friendly for the outside patio. And for deserts you are right on again. We are looking at sweet potato pie and some other options. Thanks again for your support and suggestions.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Unusual!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We enjoyed both the beer and the food. The menu was a little unusual (from the South and New Mexico) but it was very flavorful and moderately priced. There is nothing fancy about the building and it is very well hidden, but they seem to be quite popular.

Visited May 2013
Hello Eco1995,
I appreciate the 4 star review. The menu is something I came up with based on my Mom's cooking at home and the fact that I am a native. So that is how we ended with with NM soul food. Thank you for you kind comments.
Cheers,
New Mexico
“Much Better Places in Albuquerque”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We decided to try Nexus Brewery this afternoon on our way home from an event. We had a flight of beer and the beers that we sampled were just OK. Since we were hungry, we shared 4 fish tacos which were terrible!!! Very over-seasoned with red pepper and lacking condiments - except for a touch of cabbage and some salsa. I love spicy food, but my mouth was burning from poorly seasoned fish. Service was also quite poor and the atmosphere is lacking. There are much better breweries in town! We won't return.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank NewMexicoHanna
Hello Hanna,
I sincerely apologize that we did not meet or exceed your expectations on food and service. I visited with the cooks to see what was happening with the fish tacos and I think there is room for improvement. On the service, typically we get pretty good reviews, but there is not excuse. Consider giving another try sometime in the future. I believe we may have dropped the ball; although it happens, I do not like it. I appreciate you criticism, its the best way for us to improve.
Cheers,
Columbus, Ohio
“Otis Redding on the radio...high quality beer and amazing soul food! What more can you ask for?”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I shared southern fried chicken with Mac n cheese and collard greens, fish tacos and a house salad. Everything was great! My Scottish Ale was excellent. If ever in Albuquerque, it's worth a stop.

• Visited May 2013
Hello Jparak,
Thank you for the 5 star review. I am happy you enjoyed your food and as for the Scottish, that is my favorite beer on our list. Although the tripple and ginger beers, hold a close second. Also happy you love our menu. Thanks for coming in.
Ken

Oh and sorry for the late response. I kind of lost track of Trip Advisor but now I have it set up so I know I have a new comment. Thanks again
Farmington, NM
“Bomb .com!!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nexus is a locals spot for sure but should be on any aganda of a tourist. Several great beers on tap and the food is ahhmazing! The the fish n' chips and chicken n' waffles are two of my favorite things and believe me I am not a type of person that would usually enjoy such an unusual concoation such as chicken n' waffles! The vibe is good and there is a patio for outside eating along with a garage door type thing that opens up the restuarant. But come early this place is usally packed!! I recommend it to anyone the only downfalls are the dishes are made from scratch and often take a little longer than most restuarants so make sure your not in a huge rush!

• Visited April 2013
Hi Erica,
I love the fish and chips too and have trouble deviating from them even to the chicken and waffles. Thanks for the kind comments and as for timing on the food, we are working on that. We are looking at ways to get the food out quicker but as you say, we make do everything from scratch and I do not believe in frying your chicken or fish ahead of time and having it sit under a heat lamp or in an oven. Thanks again!
Ken

PS: Sorry for the late response.